Designing Air Pressure Cannon to Calculate Velocity with Changing Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the velocity of a projectile in an air pressure cannon, where the acceleration is changing based on the distance covered by the projectile. The chain rule and conservation of energy are suggested as methods for solving this problem, with the latter involving the use of pascals and joules. The need for integration and the inclusion of limits are also mentioned.
Dalau
I am designing an air pressure cannon, that relies on a tank of compressed air to drive a projectile through, and eventually out of, a tube. The initial acceleration (when the projectile is at the start of the tube) will be greater than the final acceleration (when the projectile has reached the outlet end of the tube). How can I calculate the velocity of the projectile, when the acceleration is changing? This is a problem where the acceleration changes, based on distance covered by the projctile, not based on change in time. Thanks!
-Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the chain rule.

Since

[tex]a = \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

You can apply the chan rule to write this as

[tex]a = \frac{dv}{dx} \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

Since dx/dt = v, this means that

[tex]a = v \frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

If you integrate both sides with respect to x, you then get

[tex] \int{a dx} = \int{v dv}[/tex]

You should be able to find the change in v here with respect to the displacement.

Zz.

I tried that method, but I don't see how it works. The acceleration is changing, but when I integrate the last equation, I get ax = (v^2)/2. Did I do something wrong?

you might be able to use conservation of energy.

Dalau said:
I tried that method, but I don't see how it works. The acceleration is changing, but when I integrate the last equation, I get ax = (v^2)/2. Did I do something wrong?

Did you forget that your integration has a constant, or has limits? I didn't think I had to show that since this depends on the problem that you have. If I did that, I would have done the whole thing for you. All I had left for you was the last step in figuring out the limits to your problem. If you have an acceleration that is a function of position a(x), the way you had described it, then write down that expression in the left hand side, and do the integration!

You DID say that you had an acceleration that is a function of x, didn't you?

Zz.

billiards said:
you might be able to use conservation of energy.
Yeah. I wikied some stuff about air pressure, and found that:
1 pascal (Pa) ≡ 1 N·m−2 ≡ 1 J·m−3 ≡ 1 kg·m−1·s−2

so does this mean that it takes 1 joule to increase the pressure of one cubic meter by one pascal?

For an example problem I set up, I'm just wondering if my math is correct:
Tank of air with a tube sticking out of the tank. When the projectile is at the start of the tube, the pressure in the tank is Pinit, and when the projectile is at the outlet end of the tube, the pressure in the tank + tube is now Pfinal.
Is this part correct?:
(volume of tank)*(change in pascals) = (change in joules)

ZapperZ said:
Did you forget that your integration has a constant, or has limits? I didn't think I had to show that since this depends on the problem that you have. If I did that, I would have done the whole thing for you. All I had left for you was the last step in figuring out the limits to your problem. If you have an acceleration that is a function of position a(x), the way you had described it, then write down that expression in the left hand side, and do the integration!

You DID say that you had an acceleration that is a function of x, didn't you?

Zz.
oh. d'oh. I forgot about limits. I'll try it again

1. How does an air pressure cannon work?

An air pressure cannon works by using compressed air to launch a projectile. The compressed air is stored in a chamber and is released through a valve, propelling the projectile forward.

2. What materials are needed to build an air pressure cannon?

The materials needed to build an air pressure cannon include PVC pipes, a valve, an air compressor, and a projectile such as a foam ball or potato. It is important to use materials that can withstand high pressure and have a smooth inner surface to prevent damage to the projectile.

3. How do you calculate the velocity of the projectile?

The velocity of the projectile can be calculated by measuring the distance traveled by the projectile and the time it takes to travel that distance. Using the formula velocity = distance/time, you can determine the velocity of the projectile. It is important to note that this calculation will give you the average velocity, not the instantaneous velocity.

4. How does changing acceleration affect the velocity of the projectile?

Changing acceleration can affect the velocity of the projectile by either increasing or decreasing it. If the acceleration is increased, the projectile will have a higher velocity. Similarly, if the acceleration is decreased, the projectile will have a lower velocity. This is because acceleration is directly proportional to velocity.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when using an air pressure cannon?

Some safety precautions to take when using an air pressure cannon include wearing safety glasses to protect your eyes, being aware of your surroundings and any potential hazards, and always pointing the cannon in a safe direction. It is also important to properly secure the cannon to prevent it from moving or falling over during use.