Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing core for an inductor

1. Jun 22, 2015 #1
    Suppose you have a pure DC supply with a constant current to an inductor. And you change the core of the inductor from air to iron, leaving the current remain the same. You may try changing to other materials. Does the voltage drop across the inductor will remain the same for any core? Anyone who performed an experiment on this? Or have an answer. Note, I am not referring to changing magnetic field. Voltage measurement should be done during the time the magnetic field becomes stable.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2015 #2

tech99

Gold Member

The DC resistance is unaltered when you change the core, so the voltage will be the same.

4. Jun 22, 2015 #3
    To tech99. The DC resistance you might be reffering is due to the winding of the wire, which will always be constant regardless of the core. This is the basis of voltage drop. I am curious if the core has effect on voltage drop in addition to the wire windings.

5. Jun 22, 2015 #4
    I found this post in one of the forum. I am not sure if this an experimental proof. "Why does the resistance of an inductor increase when an iron core is introduced?"

6. Jun 23, 2015 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

7. Jun 24, 2015 #6

tech99

Gold Member

The resistance for AC will increase when a core is introduced due to increased skin effect. But for static conditions, as asked in the question, the DC resistance of the winding does not alter when a core is introduced.

8. Jul 4, 2015 #7
    thanks tech99. i am thinking what will happen if we put a diamagnetic material in the core. will it affect the voltage drop due to the counter emf?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook