Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Changing Delimiters

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to write a program that converts military time to civilian time (24-hour to the standard 12-hour) but I'm having trouble with changing the delimiter to ":". I've tried re-working the code every way I can think of and it still won't work properly.

Code (Text):

import java.util.Scanner;
    public class Program4
    {
        public static void main(String[] args)
        {
            Scanner keyboard = new Scanner(System.in);     
            keyboard.useDelimiter(":");
            String theHour, theMin;

System.out.println("Enter time in 24-hour notation.");
            theHour=keyboard.next();
            theMin=keyboard.next();

System.out.println("The time is "+theHour+":"+theMin);
        }
    }

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2
    How are you entering the military time? Say, if it's 2 PM, are you entering 14:00 or 1400?
    If you are entering it as 14:00, I would suggest using an int to store your values rather than a string,
    then use nextInt instead of next.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  4. Oct 16, 2011 #3
    I'm entering it like 14:00. I tried changing the variables to integers and used nextInt, but the program waits for me to do something else after that. I tried entering 14:00 again after that just to try something and got an InputMismatchException, if that helps.

5. Oct 16, 2011 #4
    It looks like the delimiter is not catching the whitespace at the end of the string that you entered. You need to delimit two things: the : and the whitespace character \\s by using a regular expression.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook