1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing disciplines.

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    Hi all.

I'm currently doing my masters in Information and Library Science from one of the most reputed institutes in India. Our institute is also the best for Math, so lot of my time is spent around people who're really good at Math.

I will be frank with you guys: I wasn't much interested in studies in general and Math in particular until the 9th and 10 grades, when I did fairly good at Math. I have always been an average student, and thanks to the presence of an extremely talented sibling, I did extremely poor in Math and Physics in the 11th and 12th grades, thinking that I wasn't good for it (not that I blame my brother for it in any way.)

Consequently he next three years were spent in pursuing a dual bachelors in Life Sciences and IT. This time again, I wasn't much interested in coursework, but I've always led my class.

Now that I'm surrounded by so many mathematicians, I suddenly feel interested in Math again. While I do not meet the eligibility criteria for a Masters in Applied Math, I believe my Bachelors in IT would help, plus research experience in my current field (I am dabbling in applications of mathematical morphology, which require some working knowledge of discrete math, linear algebra and topology.) However many people keep telling me this is near impossible. I've started out with basic Calculus, and it may be hard at times, but I am still chugging along.

Do you guys think this is possible?

P.S. This post would be incomplete if I fail to admit that the choice of doing Applied Math is also related to the fact that my brother is a cryptographer-turned-economist.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted