Changing Engineering Dicipline?

• Thread starter TheCatalyst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: If I really have to add extra semesters to graduate from grad school due to the remedial courses, then probably is just as good to stay one or two extra years in college, so i finish with 2 bachelors instead of 1, and then go to directly to grad school without remedial courses. This should also make it easier for me to get accepted into grad school...It'd be more like 2 years extra...you can't take strength of materials or dynamics until you've had statics, that's one year already. You can't take heat transfer without thermodynamics, although at my school they allowed me to take heat transfer before thermodynamics because the only prerequisite was differential equations. Honestly it's more trouble than its worth
TheCatalyst
Hi, I am currently studying Chemical engineering, and I recently realized that in the country I live, the job opportunities for ChemE are very limited compared to other Engineering disciplines. Since I like Mechanical engineering as much as ChemE, that could be an option. The problem is that i don't want to change majors, since my progress studying ChemE go to waste.

I am thinking in getting a 2nd bachelors degree in ME, since a lot of the courses overlap and take me only 1 or 2 extra years to finish. My other option is going straight to ME grad school, but i don't know if i could get in if i am ChemE undergrad.

Physics news on Phys.org
What year are you in school? If you've only taken a few chemical engineering classes then go ahead and switch. Knowledge never goes to waste, at least you have a basic understanding of chemical reactions and how they can be used, not a lot of mechanical engineers learn that type of stuff so that could be something that sets you apart. My .02

I am less than 1 year away from graduating...

I was thinking in finishing and then study ME, but I don't know if I should study that in Grad school or as a 2nd under grad.

My question is...

How difficult is for a chemical engineer go to ME grad school? and if so...

Would someone with a ChemE undergrad degree and an Msc in ME have as much preparation for an ME job as a regular ME? or i would really need the basic knowledge from a bachelors degree in ME?

You're going to need to take some undergrad courses probably. Statics, dynamics, strength of materials, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and heat transfer most likely. At least the first 3.

TheCatalyst said:
My question is...

How difficult is for a chemical engineer go to ME grad school? and if so...

Would someone with a ChemE undergrad degree and an Msc in ME have as much preparation for an ME job as a regular ME? or i would really need the basic knowledge from a bachelors degree in ME?

I'm an EE but I knew people who went to EE grad school from Physics, Materials Science, and ME backgrounds. I assume it is similar to going to ME grad school from ChemE.

Basically, these folks had very strong records because they needed to overcome the barrier of not having the right undergrad background. Why should an ME program take you for a grad student over someone with a BS in ME? That is the question the grad admissions committee will ask and you should answer it by having a strong application, an excellent statement of purpose, and good reference letters.

Assuming you get in (which is absolutely possible) you will have to take some remedial undergraduate ME courses to fill in your gaps. It may add a semester or two to the time it takes you to graduate (depending on how heavy a load you take).

Good luck!

caldweab said:
You're going to need to take some undergrad courses probably. Statics, dynamics, strength of materials, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and heat transfer most likely. At least the first 3.

carlgrace said:
I'm an EE but I knew people who went to EE grad school from Physics, Materials Science, and ME backgrounds. I assume it is similar to going to ME grad school from ChemE.

Basically, these folks had very strong records because they needed to overcome the barrier of not having the right undergrad background. Why should an ME program take you for a grad student over someone with a BS in ME? That is the question the grad admissions committee will ask and you should answer it by having a strong application, an excellent statement of purpose, and good reference letters.

Assuming you get in (which is absolutely possible) you will have to take some remedial undergraduate ME courses to fill in your gaps. It may add a semester or two to the time it takes you to graduate (depending on how heavy a load you take).

Good luck!

If I really have to add extra semesters to graduate from grad school due to the remedial courses, then probably is just as good to stay one or two extra years in college, so i finish with 2 bachelors instead of 1, and then go to directly to grad school without remedial courses. This should also make it easier for me to get accepted into grad school...

It'd be more like 2 years extra...you can't take strength of materials or dynamics until you've had statics, that's one year already. You can't take heat transfer without thermodynamics, although at my school they allowed me to take heat transfer before thermodynamics because the only prerequisite was differential equations. Honestly it's more trouble than its worth to get the two bachelors, the last two years of those programs are completely different. Depending on what you want to do with mechanical engineering, because grad school is where you specialize in a topic under a field for instance heat and mass transfer, you should just figure out what remedial classes you need for your chosen field and take those. I doubt you need statics or dynamics if you were to choose heat and mass transfer but every mechanical engineer should understand statics, and strength of materials in my opinion

caldweab said:
It'd be more like 2 years extra...you can't take strength of materials or dynamics until you've had statics, that's one year already. You can't take heat transfer without thermodynamics, although at my school they allowed me to take heat transfer before thermodynamics because the only prerequisite was differential equations. Honestly it's more trouble than its worth to get the two bachelors, the last two years of those programs are completely different. Depending on what you want to do with mechanical engineering, because grad school is where you specialize in a topic under a field for instance heat and mass transfer, you should just figure out what remedial classes you need for your chosen field and take those. I doubt you need statics or dynamics if you were to choose heat and mass transfer but every mechanical engineer should understand statics, and strength of materials in my opinion

It's one of those things that depends greatly on the schools involved. I was an EE undergrad and I took the same statics, dynamics, and thermo courses the MEs took.

Conversely, at my school you had to take the full suite of remedial classes if you didn't have an EE undergraduate degree, even if they weren't directly related to your subfield.

I suggest the OP contacts whatever school he or she is interested in. The only real consensus we can give you is that you WILL have some remedial work, and I agree it will probably be quicker to double major or something as an undergrad.

What school did you go to might I ask? My school used to make every engineering major take statics, strength and thermo but recently they have changed the curriculums

UC Davis

caldweab said:

well, I already took thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and transport phenomena (mass transfer). Those are part of the ChemE program

I could also try to take at least statics and a bit of materials science for electives

If you've taken those classes you're in really good shape to double major.

caldweab said:
If you've taken those classes you're in really good shape to double major.

Hmm... ok, I think that's what I am going to do.

Thanks that was very helpful!

1. How is engineering discipline changing in the modern world?

The field of engineering is constantly evolving and adapting to new technologies, societal needs, and environmental challenges. This requires engineers to continuously learn and update their skills and knowledge in order to stay relevant and effective in their work.

2. What are some of the new technologies driving the change in engineering discipline?

Some of the key technologies driving the change in engineering discipline include artificial intelligence, 3D printing, and the Internet of Things (IoT). These technologies have the potential to revolutionize how we design, build, and maintain structures and systems.

3. How is the role of engineers changing in the face of these advancements?

As technology advances, the role of engineers is shifting from traditional problem-solving and design to more data-driven and analytical work. Engineers are now expected to have a strong understanding of these new technologies and how to integrate them into their projects.

4. How is the demand for engineers in different disciplines changing?

The demand for engineers in various disciplines is constantly changing depending on the needs of society. In recent years, there has been an increased demand for engineers in fields such as renewable energy, sustainable design, and cybersecurity, as the world shifts towards more environmentally-friendly and secure solutions.

5. What skills are becoming more important for engineers in the changing discipline?

In addition to technical skills, engineers are now expected to have strong communication, collaboration, and project management skills. As the field becomes more interdisciplinary, the ability to work with diverse teams and effectively communicate complex ideas is crucial for success.