1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing Engineering Fields at the Master's Level

1. May 31, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I am currently an undergraduate student in an Industrial & Systems Engineering program and have 3 semesters of courses left.

Over the past year and a half, I have learned through work experiences and research that I am very interested in Aerospace Engineering, specifically Aerospace Systems.

My question, is how difficult would it be to go into an Aerospace Engineering master's program with an Industrial & Systems background? More importantly I guess, would I even be admitted into an AE/ASE program? Another idea I can think of would be to go back later and pursue a 2nd bachelor's in mechanical engineering (and then look into an aerospace systems engineering master's). Would doing something like this be practical?

The program I am in includes standard industrial courses like operations research, Lean/6 Sigma, advanced statistics, and several other manufacturing courses and some systems classes in simulations, project management, cost and project life-cycle analysis, and a senior design project in space mission design. I do like all of my systems engineering courses and know they are very applicable to what I want to do after I graduate.

I also take some basic engineering core classes like statics, thermodynamics, mechanics of materials, circuits, and CAD as well as all of the Calc. courses, linear algebra, and differential equations.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted