1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Changing field patterns

1. Jan 9, 2017 #1
    I hope someone here can help me and jog my memory. Some time back I was reading something on this forum which struck me as being a bit strange but nevertheless interesting. I made a mental note of coming back to the topic and taking a proper look at it But the trouble is I've forgotten the details and I can't find any references to it.

It was related to changing electric field line patterns due to moving charges. I can remember that there were two names connected with theories associated with these changes but I can't remember the names of the people involved.. I seem to remember that one theory was more detailed than the other but that each theory had certain weaknesses.

I have spent a lot of time searching but have come up with nothing.
    Thank you if you can help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Maybe Lienard Wiechert?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liénard–Wiechert_potential

4. Jan 9, 2017 #3
    Thank you Dale. I came across Lienard Wichert in my earlier searches and it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. From what I recall the approach I came across originally was based on field line diagrams and the two physicists were mentioned separately one approach being more detailed than the other. I will take another look at Lienard and Wiechart.
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted