Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Changing field patterns

1. Jan 9, 2017 #1
    I hope someone here can help me and jog my memory. Some time back I was reading something on this forum which struck me as being a bit strange but nevertheless interesting. I made a mental note of coming back to the topic and taking a proper look at it But the trouble is I've forgotten the details and I can't find any references to it.

It was related to changing electric field line patterns due to moving charges. I can remember that there were two names connected with theories associated with these changes but I can't remember the names of the people involved.. I seem to remember that one theory was more detailed than the other but that each theory had certain weaknesses.

I have spent a lot of time searching but have come up with nothing.
    Thank you if you can help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Maybe Lienard Wiechert?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liénard–Wiechert_potential

4. Jan 9, 2017 #3
    Thank you Dale. I came across Lienard Wichert in my earlier searches and it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. From what I recall the approach I came across originally was based on field line diagrams and the two physicists were mentioned separately one approach being more detailed than the other. I will take another look at Lienard and Wiechart.
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted