1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing form of integral

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use integration by parts to show that

∫(sqrt(1-x^2) dx = x(sqrt(1-x^2) + ∫ (x^2) / sqrt(1 - x^2)

write x^2 = x^2 -1 + 1 in the second integral and deduce the formula

∫(sqrt(1-x^2) dx = (1/2)x(sqrt(1-x^2) + (1/2)∫ 1 / sqrt(1 - x^2) dx

I actually found a solution guide to this problem online. Although I don't even understand the solution. I do but I'm stuck on something. Please see the pdf attached. It is exercise 3.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

OK so I'm confused on how they got the first integral after the = sign which reads -∫sqrt(1-x^2) dx

So what I tried to do was what the book tells me to do.

I sub so I got ∫x^2 / sqrt(1-x^2)dx = ∫ (x^2 -1) / sqrt(1-x^2) dx + ∫ (1/ sqrt(1-x^2)) dx

So if you look the integral on the right is OK that takes care of the last integral in eq 2 in the attached pdf. But I'm stuck with this integral and I have tried literally everything I can think of to get it to the form -∫sqrt(1-x^2) dx from ∫ (x^2 -1) / sqrt(1-x^2) dx

I tried to let u^2 = 1 - x^2 and sub back and sub the numerator for x^2 in terms of u.
    I tried to let u = 1 - x^2.
    I tried to let u = the numerator and I tried u^2 = numerator. I have tried trig substitution for the denominator I tried to draw a triangle and make sqrt ( 1 - x ^2) the adjacent side and proceed from there. NOTHING! This is frustrating because I have tried everything I know and I guarantee I will be mad because it is probably something simple I can't see. I feel I have exhausted my efforts

Just look at the attached note for exercise 3. You will see.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

So what you have is: $$\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx = \int \frac{x^2 - 1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx + \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx$$

All they are doing to get the new form ##-\int \sqrt{1-x^2}\,dx## for the first term on the RHS is taking out a common factor on the numerator. What is that common factor?

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3
    [itex]\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx = \int \frac{x^2 - 1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx + \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx [/itex]

Just a factor from this?
    [itex] I = \int \frac{x^2 - 1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx [/itex]

[itex] I = \int \frac{(x-1)(x+1)}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx [/itex]

This is sad I don't see it.

5. Jun 11, 2013 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

Okay, I'll start you off: (You'll be kicking yourself)
    $$x^2 - 1 = -(1-x^2)$$

Now simplify.

6. Jun 11, 2013 #5
    My foot hurts. Beyond dumb.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted