Changing from Computer Science major to Information Technology?

In summary: Remember, there is no one "right" path to success, and it is okay to change your mind and explore different options. I hope this summary has provided some helpful insights and I wish you all the best in your academic and career journey.
Frankie715
I am currently a student at USF majoring in Computer Science. I am almost positive that I will be switching to Information Technology after this semester. This is primarily because I do not want a job in software development anymore. I still have 43 credits left to complete the CS program. I would only need to take one extra class if I switch to IT so it would not set me back.

I am no longer enjoying my programming courses. The IT major accepts all the courses I have taken and still has plenty of technical courses left with just a couple more programming courses (Data Structures/Operating Systems/Networks) and 3-4 business courses. My school also offers an MIS major which is a lot more business oriented. The IT program is said to bridge the gap between CS and MIS.

I don't want to feel like I am giving up on myself by switching to the IT major. I'm sure the CS degree is more lucrative, but I honestly don't think I can stick it out much longer. I am not enjoying the hardware courses either. I just barely passed my C++ Object Oriented course with a C-. I know they are only going to get more difficult and more involved. I also don't seem to be very good at programming. I just don't have the passion for it either like most students in my class seem to have. I also completed all the math courses required for the CS degree. I don't want employers to think I took the easy way out and couldn't hack the math courses or something.

What scares me is the job outlook. I would prefer to work in an IT related position for a business (not sure what position yet). I just do not want to be a programmer for a living.

I am terrified of making this switch because I am worried about job prospects. Can I still become successful with the Information Technology degree or am I making a huge mistake? I have been stressing over this VERY badly over the past few months. I have been absolutely miserable and unhappy with life. I feel like I want to make the switch to IT, but I am incredibly nervous.

I am also interested in the MIS degree, but I am unsure if I can go for the real technical related positions because it doesn't touch on the technical aspects as much as the IT degree does. The IT major focuses on the technical classes while the MIS focuses on business classes. It would be easier to make the decision on exactly what to switch to IF I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to do with my life. That's one of my main problems. I just do not know what I want to do with my life post-graduation.

What do you guys think? Sorry for the long read, but I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

I understand that you are currently struggling with your decision to switch from a Computer Science major to Information Technology. Making a change in your academic path can be a difficult and daunting decision, but it is important to remember that ultimately, you should pursue what makes you happy and what you are passionate about.

It seems like you have already put a lot of thought into your decision and have weighed the pros and cons of both majors. It is important to note that both Computer Science and Information Technology are valuable and in-demand fields in today's job market. While a CS degree may be more lucrative in terms of salary, it is not the only factor that should drive your decision.

If you are no longer enjoying your programming courses and do not see yourself pursuing a career in software development, then it may be a good idea to switch to IT. It is important to have a strong interest and passion for the subject you are studying, as this will not only make your academic experience more enjoyable, but it will also help you excel in your future career.

Furthermore, it is important to note that an IT degree still offers a strong technical foundation and can lead to various job opportunities in the technology industry. It can also serve as a bridge between CS and MIS, as you mentioned. So, switching to IT may not necessarily mean that you are giving up on yourself or your potential for success.

It is also worth considering that you have already completed a significant amount of coursework in the CS program, and switching to IT would only require one additional class. This will not set you back significantly and could potentially provide you with a better academic experience and job prospects in the long run.

As for your concerns about employers thinking you took the easy way out, I would not worry too much about this. Employers are more interested in the skills and knowledge you possess, rather than the specific degree you have. And with an IT degree, you will still have a strong technical background and relevant skills that are valued in the job market.

In terms of your interest in MIS, it is important to research and understand the job opportunities and career paths available with this degree. While it may not have as much focus on technical courses, it could still lead to a successful career in the business and technology industry. It may also be beneficial to speak with advisors and professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of the potential career paths with an MIS degree.

Ultimately, it is important to trust your

1. What is the difference between Computer Science and Information Technology?

Computer Science focuses on the theoretical and mathematical aspects of computing, while Information Technology is more practical and applied, focusing on the use of technology for specific purposes.

2. Will I have to start over if I switch from Computer Science to Information Technology?

It depends on your specific program and institution. Some courses may transfer over, but you may also need to take additional courses to catch up on any missed material.

3. How will switching to Information Technology affect my job prospects?

While both fields are in high demand, Information Technology tends to have more job opportunities and a wider range of roles available, such as network administrator, database administrator, or web developer.

4. Will I still learn programming if I switch to Information Technology?

Yes, you will still learn programming in Information Technology, but it may not be as in-depth as a Computer Science program. Information Technology programs often focus on specific languages and applications, rather than the theoretical foundations of programming.

5. Is it possible to combine Computer Science and Information Technology in my studies?

Yes, some universities offer dual degree programs where you can study both Computer Science and Information Technology. You may also have the option to minor in one field while majoring in the other.