Changing Momentum: Unpacking the Confusion

• Thread starter PhysicsKid0123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the concept being discussed is about momentum and how it is affected by the mass and velocity of an object. The example given involves water striking a window at a constant velocity, and the rate at which the water loses momentum is determined by the mass and velocity of the water. The sentence mentioning "The water strikes the window at 32 m/s so each kilogram of water loses 32 kg.m/s of momentum" is to emphasize that momentum is lost at a constant rate for each kilogram of water. Calculus is used to understand the rate of change of momentum in situations with changing masses, but in this example, it is not explicitly used.
PhysicsKid0123
[Mentor's note: This post does not use the homework-forums template because it was originally posted in one of the discussion forums. I moved it here instead of deleting it because it already had several answers in the spirit of the homework-forum rules.]

Okay so I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this. Before looking at the answer I worked the example and got the answer only because I used dimensional analysis to get me to the right units for force. However, to be honest, I don't think I even understand the concept here. I know mass is changing and velocity is constant, but what is throwing me off is where it says "The water strikes the window at 32 m/s so each kilogram of water loses 32 kg.m/s of momentum. Water strikes the window at the rate of 45 kg/s, so the rate at which it loses momentum to the window is... 1400kg m/s^2" How is it losing 32 kg m/s of momentum and then at the same time also losing it at a rate of 1400 kg m/s^2? Why does it even mention "The water strikes the window at 32 m/s so each kilogram of water loses 32 kg.m/s of momentum" what is the purpose of that sentence. That is really confusing me.

I added this simple diagram to show how I see this system. Where is 32 kg. m/s of momentum come in? (I am aware that the window is now showing)

Attachments

• photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 364
  • photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 353
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This should be posted in the homework section, but give me a minute to go over it and I'll see if I can help while I eat my egg sandwich.

Okay, each kg of water has 32 kg m/s of momentum, as you've written above the box.
Now, how much water is striking the window per second?

45kg per second...

Okay. So we have water traveling at 32 m/s, with a momentum of 32 kg m/s per kg of water. We also have 45 kg of water striking the window every second.

To put this in other words, if I take 1 kg of water and throw it against the window at 32 m/s it will lose 32 kg m/s of momentum since the window completely stops it. But I'm not throwing just one of these 1 kg blocks of water, I'm throwing 45 of them per second. So how much momentum is the water losing per second?

Note that we do NOT have a change in mass anywhere in the problem.

okay I see it would lose 1440 kg m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex]

So to summarize, 1 kg chunk thrown at 32m/s is losing 32 kg m/s of momentum, but since we are throwing 45 of them per second, we are losing a total of 1440 kg m/s of momentum, and yet again, this loss of momentum happens every second.

That is my understanding. Is that right? I think I understand now.

So there isn't any calculus involved here then, right?

PhysicsKid0123 said:
So there isn't any calculus involved here then, right?

Calculus is always there. It's just that some problems can make the calculus so trivial that we don't explicitly use it. Look upon force as Rate of Change of Momentum - that's calculus, isn't it? The rate of change of momentum, in this case, is constant (velocity change times rate of mass arriving). So you have your answer.
You did this sum without involving specific integration or differentiation but there are many examples (like rockets) where the masses are changing all the time and calculus rears its head and you need to do some integration. :bugeye:

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physics concept that refers to the quantity of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

How is momentum affected by mass and velocity?

Momentum is directly proportional to both mass and velocity. This means that an increase in either mass or velocity will result in an increase in momentum, while a decrease in either will result in a decrease in momentum.

What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction will be the same. This means that momentum is always conserved, even if it is transferred between objects.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

How can momentum be changed?

Momentum can be changed by applying a force to an object, which will cause it to accelerate and change its velocity. Additionally, collisions and interactions between objects can also change the momentum of the system.