Why do orbits become more eccentric when changing speed?

• Thread starter nothingbetter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, if energy is added or subtracted from a circular orbit, the resulting orbit will become more eccentric, rather than just changing the radius. This is because the acceleration needed to change the radius would also change the direction of the orbit, resulting in an elliptical path. Additionally, the acceleration in an elliptical orbit can be measured by referencing an external frame of reference, but on Earth, it cannot be detected due to the free-fall motion of the planet.
nothingbetter
From what I understand (and also assuming that the mass of one body is much greater than the other), if we had a body performing a circular orbit, and we put more (or less?) energy into the orbit by changing the speed of the body, the orbit will become more eccentric, i.e. elliptical.

My question is: If this is the case, then why is it so, instead of the orbit remaining circular but with a different radius?

I have a feeling that I sort of have the answer, but I'm not entire sure about it: That would be the case if the acceleration was at a certain angle, with a radial component. Is this right?

I also have another question relating to elliptical orbits: since the speed of bodies in elliptical orbits isn't constant, it implies that the body is always being accelerated. With Earth itself being in an elliptical orbit, shouldn't we be able to measure this acceleration? Is it because its magnitude is too small (since the Earth's orbit is huge and rather circular anyway), or is there some other reason?

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
nothingbetter said:
From what I understand (and also assuming that the mass of one body is much greater than the other), if we had a body performing a circular orbit, and we put more (or less?) energy into the orbit by changing the speed of the body, the orbit will become more eccentric, i.e. elliptical.

My question is: If this is the case, then why is it so, instead of the orbit remaining circular but with a different radius?

I have a feeling that I sort of have the answer, but I'm not entire sure about it: That would be the case if the acceleration was at a certain angle, with a radial component. Is this right?
If you think about it, two different circles have two different radii, so that a body cannot be on two different concentric circles at the same time. That means there must be a path with a radial component (change in radius) to get from one circle to the another. The resulting trajectory cannot be circular.

However... nothing prevents you from making the radial change gradually and uniformly. This would be a spiral path. With the right direction of applied thrust such a spiral path can be achieved. This is the kind of path favored for constant low-thrust spacecraft with ion propulsion (See for example the Dawn mission spacecraft ).
I also have another question relating to elliptical orbits: since the speed of bodies in elliptical orbits isn't constant, it implies that the body is always being accelerated. With Earth itself being in an elliptical orbit, shouldn't we be able to measure this acceleration? Is it because its magnitude is too small (since the Earth's orbit is huge and rather circular anyway), or is there some other reason?
You can measure the acceleration by referencing an external "stationary" frame of reference such as one provided by the distant background of stars. You might also infer the acceleration by noting the rate of change of the apparent size of the Sun throughout the orbit. Again, this is using an external reference. But if you are restricted to a closed laboratory on Earth you won't be able to detect it. This is because the Earth and its contents are in free-fall around its orbit, following a geodesic path through spacetime. This is the spacetime equivalent of uniform motion with no detectable external forces!

1. How is the eccentricity of an orbit defined?

The eccentricity of an orbit is a measure of how elliptical or circular the orbit is. It is defined as the ratio of the distance between the two foci of the ellipse (the points around which the orbiting object rotates) to the length of the major axis of the ellipse. A perfectly circular orbit has an eccentricity of 0, while a highly elliptical orbit has an eccentricity close to 1.

2. What causes the eccentricity of an orbit to change?

The primary factor that causes the eccentricity of an orbit to change is the gravitational pull of other objects in the solar system. For example, if a planet or moon passes close to another object, the gravitational force can cause the orbit to become more elliptical. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the orbit can also be affected by the distribution of mass within the orbiting object itself.

3. How does changing eccentricity affect the orbiting object?

Changing the eccentricity of an orbit can have significant effects on the orbiting object. For example, if the eccentricity increases, the object may experience more extreme temperature variations as it moves closer to and further away from the sun. It can also affect the stability of the orbit and potentially lead to collisions or close encounters with other objects.

4. Can the eccentricity of an orbit be changed artificially?

Yes, the eccentricity of an orbit can be changed artificially through various methods. For example, spacecraft can use thrusters to alter their velocity and change their orbit's eccentricity. In some cases, gravitational slingshots can also be used to alter the eccentricity of an object's orbit.

5. How do scientists study and track changes in orbit eccentricities?

Scientists use various tools and techniques to study and track changes in orbit eccentricities. These include ground-based telescopes, space telescopes, and spacecraft missions. By observing and recording the positions and movements of objects in the solar system, scientists can analyze changes in orbit eccentricities and better understand the processes that drive them.