1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing size particle in a box

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

there is a infinite quantum well with size L and there is a particle in it with mass m. suddenly the size of the quantum well is doubled. What will be the wave function at a later time t ?

2. Relevant equations

ψ= [itex]\sqrt{2/L}[/itex] sin (n pi x / L)

E = n^2 pi^2 h^2 / 2mL^2

3. The attempt at a solution

do we need to find cn again with 2L ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.
    I'd normally do this by expressing the initial state of the particle, in the 1L well, in terms of a superposition of states of the final 2L well... then finding the time-evolution of those states.

I'd have expected the initial state to be a specified n state (i.e. the ground state).

A lot depends on context - eg.
    If there is a mechanism for decay present, then the question could be answered in terms of the energy lost in the decay from initial to final states. (Otherwise the system remains in a composite state until some measurement of energy is made.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook