Changing the present by changing the past

• Thread starter jaynebeal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the idea of erasing someone from existence before they were born. The discussion touched on the possibility and mechanism of time travel, as well as the ethical implications of such an action. Ultimately, it was determined that it is not possible to erase someone backward in time.
jaynebeal
I have two children...they are 9 and 7 years old. If some one wanted to erase them b4 they were born would it be possible to do so? I mean I wouldn't just wake up one day with one child and no knowledge of the other, living in a different house..etc, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
If they were erased, you wouldn't exist.

er...why would I not exist if my children were erased?

'You' is a rigid designator of course, so you wouldn't exist. It would be a different you.

Understood and thought of, thanks...but the question remains..is it possible to erase someone backward?

jaynebeal said:
Understood and thought of, thanks...but the question remains..is it possible to erase someone backward?

Well, since you asked the question, is there anything that makes you think it is possible?

but the question remains..is it possible to erase someone backward?

I would say that possibility requires a mechanism. Unless you can come up with a mechanism for one to travel through time, forget it.

If you fantasizing about your children not existing you are a ...

Well, actually, you're just a parent. I understand and sympathise!

I think I saw this movie... You know, it was that one where that guy kept going back to the future and the past? I think it was called...

The Time Machine

Last edited:
What about
The Forgotten?

HallsofIvy said:
If you fantasizing about your children not existing you are a ...

Well, actually, you're just a parent. I understand and sympathise!

:rofl: Good to see you down here in the dungeon for a change!

It actually is possible. Just kill them and bury them somewhere they will never be found. The only thing u have to do after that is cause such braindamage in urself that u will have forgotten ur past.

I don't know about you, but this guy sounds kinda creepy to me.

"If you wanted to get rid of a child and make sure no body knew they existed, how would you do it?"

yea, sounds kinda nutty. lol

I'll go with verty on this one. If it could be done, your parents would have done it to you.

I know one little bastard who should be the poster-child for retroactive abortion; unfortunately, it isn't possible. :grumpy:

I came here from sciforums to get away from the nutjobs. Well, at least they're less prominant here.

But yeah, I agree, not possible. My parents would've done it already.

jaynebeal said:
I have two children...they are 9 and 7 years old. If some one wanted to erase them b4 they were born would it be possible to do so? I mean I wouldn't just wake up one day with one child and no knowledge of the other, living in a different house..etc, etc.

I've never encountered such a "profoundly" stupid question before...the moron has been exposed...

Okay, I think this has gone on long enough. I'm pulling the plug.

1. How is it possible to change the present by changing the past?

While it may seem impossible to change the past, some scientists believe that the concept of time is not as linear as we perceive it. It is believed that by altering events in the past, we can create a ripple effect that changes the course of future events, ultimately altering the present.

2. What evidence supports the idea of changing the present by changing the past?

One of the main pieces of evidence is the phenomenon known as the "butterfly effect". This concept suggests that small changes in the past can have a significant impact on the present. Additionally, some scientists point to quantum physics and the idea of parallel universes as evidence that changing the past is possible.

3. Can changing the past have negative consequences?

While it is theorized that changing the past can have a positive impact on the present, it is also possible that it could have negative consequences. The butterfly effect suggests that even the smallest changes can have significant effects, and there is no way to predict the outcome of altering past events.

4. How can we change the past?

Currently, there is no known way to physically travel back in time and change events. However, some scientists propose the use of advanced technology or the manipulation of wormholes and black holes as potential methods for changing the past.

5. Are there ethical concerns with changing the past?

The idea of changing the past raises ethical concerns as it could potentially alter the course of history and impact the lives of billions of people. It also raises questions about free will and the consequences of interfering with the natural flow of time.