Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing the running parameter

1. Nov 22, 2008 #1
    hi there!

I have the following sum:

and I wanna let it run from n=0 to infty

it´s somehow obvious that:

[tex]\displaystyle{\sum_{n=0}^\infty}(-1)^n\frac{(2z)^n}{(2n)!} - 1=\displaystyle{\sum_{n=1}^\infty}(-1)^n\frac{(2z)^n}{(2n)!}[/tex]

but how do I prove it? I tried to write n-1 instead n but when I calculated it it wasn´t in a way the result from the equation above.

Does anyone know how I should do this operation?

thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The only difference between [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty[/itex] and [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[/itex] is the n= 0 term! What is (-1)0 (2z)0/(2(0))! ? Now do you see why you need that "-1" outside the sum?
  4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    yeah, yeah, I know why it has to be outside, maybe I have to ask my question more precisely. My qestion is, how to change the running parameter, what is the way one does this so that the -1 comes as result of this change?
  5. Nov 22, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, a summation is just a whole bunch of additions, so it should be obvious to you that

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n=a_0 + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n \Rightarrow \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n-a_0[/tex]

That is really all there is to it. There is no need to change your running variable.
  6. Nov 22, 2008 #5
    :) ok, tnaks once again for the help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?