1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing Units Problem

1. Jun 17, 2005 #1
    Hello, perhaps you could help with a problem.

Suppose a pulsar rotates once every 1.400 806 448 872 75 + or - 5 ms, where the trailing + or - 5 indicates the uncertainty in the last decimal place (it does not mean + or - 5ms).

a. How many times does the pulsar rotate in 30.0 days?
    I solved this one, 30days(60s/min)(60min/hr)(24hr/day) = 1.85(10^9)

b. How much time does the pulsar take to rotate 2.0(10^6) times?
    (Give your answer to at least 4 decimal places.)

c. What is the associated uncertainty of this time?

It's these last two that are giving me issues, for b. I figured you just multiply the amount of rotations by the time it takes to rotate, I came up with 2801.61 s but according to webassign is wrong. I even stuffed it with 2 zeros to go out 4 decimal places. I'm just not sure about c, though I need the answer to b. to start.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Jun 17, 2005 #3
    Thank you for your help, you've led me to the correct answer. It is 2801.6128977455, you must have left out the (ms) or 10^-3 when multiplying. My calculator was only set up to display 6 digits. Thanx again.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?