Changing usernames

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter uzair_ha91
  • Start date
Is it possible to change our usernames? (Didn't think too much about mine when I created it)

Answers and Replies

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Last I remember, yes it is possible.

Email or PM an admin with your request and new choice of username.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This subject is like a bad penny; it just keeps coming back. Perhaps there should be something about it in the rules? Or in a sticky? Or maybe a strong warning in the explanation before choosing a username?

berkeman
Mentor
It doesn't come up very often, so probably doesn't warrant a stickie. Just PM a Mentor in the forums you frequent, and if that doesn't get a response soon, Report one of your posts to make the request.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Actually, I think it does come up pretty often. I agree with Lisab. If there's a way to put a more detailed explanation or warning into the sign-up process, that would be the best approach. Otherwise, I think we need an FAQ link back with information about username changes in it. We used to have an FAQ link, but it has disappeared, and might have mostly included outdated FAQs. Or, maybe it can be put into the library?

berkeman
Mentor
Well, based on the number of warnings the Mentors issue to new posters about not reading the rules, I'm skeptical about adding anything there making any difference. We get about 1 name change request per quarter, which seems to be handled fairly well by the Admins, IMO.