Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Changing usernames

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    Is it possible to change our usernames? (Didn't think too much about mine when I created it)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last I remember, yes it is possible.

Email or PM an admin with your request and new choice of username.

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This subject is like a bad penny; it just keeps coming back. Perhaps there should be something about it in the rules? Or in a sticky? Or maybe a strong warning in the explanation before choosing a username?

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It doesn't come up very often, so probably doesn't warrant a stickie. Just PM a Mentor in the forums you frequent, and if that doesn't get a response soon, Report one of your posts to make the request.

6. Oct 11, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, I think it does come up pretty often. I agree with Lisab. If there's a way to put a more detailed explanation or warning into the sign-up process, that would be the best approach. Otherwise, I think we need an FAQ link back with information about username changes in it. We used to have an FAQ link, but it has disappeared, and might have mostly included outdated FAQs. Or, maybe it can be put into the library?

7. Oct 11, 2009 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, based on the number of warnings the Mentors issue to new posters about not reading the rules, I'm skeptical about adding anything there making any difference. We get about 1 name change request per quarter, which seems to be handled fairly well by the Admins, IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook