1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Chaos theory

1. Nov 12, 2016 #1
    Chaos could appear in the system if there is some nonlinearity. My question is how to explain that there is no chaos in constant acceletating system
    [tex]s(t)=v_0t+\frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]
    when equation is nonlinear? Why is important only that difference and differential equation be nonlinear. It confusing me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The crucial point is probably, that ##s(t)## isn't sensitive on the initial conditions. To answer why, I'll have to ask you which definition of sensitivity do you want to use (I've found three on Wikipedia). I assume the entire trajectory will be the underlying topological space as well as its dense ##s-##invariant subset in order to clear the topological assumptions.

4. Nov 12, 2016 #3
    Exponential sensitivity. Calculation of largest Lyapunov exponent.

5. Nov 12, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

A back of the envelope calculation with the first differential as quotient of rates, the formula ##\log (1+t) = - \log (1 - (\frac{t}{1+t}))## and the power series of ##\log## gave me a Lyapunov exponent zero.

6. Nov 27, 2016 #5

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An anharmonic 1D oscillator with Lagrangian ##\frac{p^2}{2m}-kx^4## isn't chaotic either, even though the equation of motion is nonlinear in ##x(t)##. On the other hand, you can make a harmonic oscillator chaotically sensitive to the initial condition by choosing a negative "spring constant" (a slightest deviation from the equilibrium position will start growing exponentially) . Note that in the constant accelerating system the force is an s-independent constant, which means that it's actually a mechanical system with a linear equation of motion even though the trajectory is a nonlinear function of ##t##.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted