A Chaos theory

Chaos could appear in the system if there is some nonlinearity. My question is how to explain that there is no chaos in constant acceletating system
[tex]s(t)=v_0t+\frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]
when equation is nonlinear? Why is important only that difference and differential equation be nonlinear. It confusing me.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Chaos could appear in the system if there is some nonlinearity. My question is how to explain that there is no chaos in constant acceletating system
[tex]s(t)=v_0t+\frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]
when equation is nonlinear? Why is important only that difference and differential equation be nonlinear. It confusing me.
The crucial point is probably, that ##s(t)## isn't sensitive on the initial conditions. To answer why, I'll have to ask you which definition of sensitivity do you want to use (I've found three on Wikipedia). I assume the entire trajectory will be the underlying topological space as well as its dense ##s-##invariant subset in order to clear the topological assumptions.

Exponential sensitivity. Calculation of largest Lyapunov exponent.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
A back of the envelope calculation with the first differential as quotient of rates, the formula ##\log (1+t) = - \log (1 - (\frac{t}{1+t}))## and the power series of ##\log## gave me a Lyapunov exponent zero.

hilbert2

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
An anharmonic 1D oscillator with Lagrangian ##\frac{p^2}{2m}-kx^4## isn't chaotic either, even though the equation of motion is nonlinear in ##x(t)##. On the other hand, you can make a harmonic oscillator chaotically sensitive to the initial condition by choosing a negative "spring constant" (a slightest deviation from the equilibrium position will start growing exponentially) . Note that in the constant accelerating system the force is an s-independent constant, which means that it's actually a mechanical system with a linear equation of motion even though the trajectory is a nonlinear function of ##t##.

Last edited: