Exploring Chaotic Billiards: A Simulation and Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of a simulation of a chaotic billiard system using numpy and matplotlib. The problem faced is that when calculating phi_new, the equation has two solutions and it must be enforced that phi_new is the solution different from phi. The desired output is a phase space diagram. The code is provided and a possible solution is suggested, but the issue is not fully resolved and other mistakes may be present.
carlosbgois
What am I trying to do? I'm trying to implement a simulation of a chaotic billiard system, following the algorithm in this excerpt.

How am I trying it? Using numpy and matplotlib, I implemented the following code

code_polar_bil.jpg

What is the problem? When calculating phi_new, the equation has two solutions (assuming the boundary is convex, which is.) I must enforce that phi_new is the solution which is different from phi but I don't know how to do that. Are there more issues with the code?

What should the output be? A phase space diagram of S x Alpha, looking like this.

Any help is very appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I'll be the one to help you, but posting code as an image can almost guarantee that no one will. Repost it as text inside code tags.

Likes carlosbgois
Here is the code: (I didn't know how to use code tags before, sorry)

Code:
def boundaryFunction(parameter):
    return 1 + 0.1 * np.cos(parameter)

def boundaryDerivative(parameter):
    return -0.1 * np.sin(parameter)

def trajectoryFunction(parameter):
    aux = np.sin(beta - phi) / np.sin(beta - parameter)
    return boundaryFunction(phi) * aux

def difference(parameter):
    return trajectoryFunction(parameter) - boundaryFunction(parameter)

def integrand(parameter):
    rr = boundaryFunction(parameter)
    dd = boundaryDerivative (parameter)
    return np.sqrt(rr ** 2 + dd ** 2)

##### Main #####

length_vals = np.array([], dtype=np.float64)
alpha_vals = np.array([], dtype=np.float64)

# nof initial phi angles, alpha angles, and nof collisions for each.
n_phi, n_alpha, n_cols, count = 10, 10, 10, 0
# Length of the boundary
total_length, err = integrate.quad(integrand, 0, 2 * np.pi)
setPlot('Polar Billiard')

#fig = plt.figure()

for phi in np.linspace(0, 2 * np.pi, n_phi):
    for alpha in np.linspace(0, 2 * np.pi, n_alpha):
        for n in np.arange(1, n_cols):

nu = np.arctan(boundaryFunction(phi) / boundaryDerivative(phi))
            beta = np.pi + phi + alpha - nu

# Determines next impact coordinate.
            bnds = (0, 2 * np.pi)
            phi_new = optimize.minimize_scalar(difference, bounds=bnds, method='bounded').x
            if phi_new == phi:
                print 'phi_new = phi'

nu_new =  np.arctan(boundaryFunction(phi_new) / boundaryDerivative(phi_new))
            # Reflection angle with relation to tangent.
            alpha_new = phi_new - phi + nu - nu_new - alpha
            # Arc length for current phi value.
            arc_length, err = integrate.quad(integrand, 0, phi_new)

# Append values to list
            length_vals = np.append(length_vals, arc_length / total_length)
            alpha_vals = np.append(alpha_vals, alpha)        count += 1
    print  "{}%" .format(100 * count / (n_phi * n_alpha))

Maybe I can be of help after all. I'm not sure your approach is the best, but let's assume that your sticking with optimize.minimize_scalar.

Why don't you define the bounds as ##[\phi + \epsilon, \phi + 2 \pi - \epsilon]##, where ##\epsilon## is a small number, to avoid the solution at ##\phi##?

Likes carlosbgois
That's a nice solution. Thanks you. What would be a better approach?

Unfortunately, this alone didn't fix the problem. There must be other mistakes, though I did exactly what was in the book excerpt. I'm wondering if varying only Φ and α parameters spans the whole possible starting parameters for the problem, but am not sure about that.

1. What is chaotic billiards simulation?

Chaotic billiards simulation is a mathematical model used to study the behavior of a billiard ball bouncing around a table with randomly placed obstacles. It is used to understand the concept of chaos and how small changes in initial conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes.

2. What is the purpose of conducting a chaotic billiards simulation?

The purpose of conducting a chaotic billiards simulation is to gain a better understanding of chaotic systems and how they behave. It can also be used to predict the behavior of other chaotic systems, such as weather patterns, population dynamics, and stock market fluctuations.

3. How is a chaotic billiards simulation different from a regular billiards game?

In a regular billiards game, the balls follow predictable paths and collisions. However, in a chaotic billiards simulation, the balls follow unpredictable paths due to the presence of random obstacles. This leads to a more complex and chaotic behavior.

4. What factors can affect the outcome of a chaotic billiards simulation?

The initial conditions, such as the position and velocity of the ball, can greatly affect the outcome of a chaotic billiards simulation. Additionally, the number and placement of obstacles on the table can also impact the behavior of the ball.

5. How is chaotic billiards simulation relevant in real-life applications?

Chaotic billiards simulation has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to study and predict the behavior of complex systems, which can help in making better decisions and improving models in these fields.