1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chapman's function

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    According to Chapman theory the photon volume deposition rate for an incoming beam of solar radiation is given by
    [tex] q(h) = I_{t} \sigma n_{0} \exp\left(-\frac{h}{H} - \sigma n_{0} H \sec\chi \exp\frac{-h}{H}\right) [/tex]
    where It is the flux of incoming solar radiation, σ is the absorption cross-section, no is absorber density at the surface and H is its scale height. Prove that the deposition curve is displaced upwards by one scale height without changing shape if either σ or no are increased by a factor of e the natural log base. It is not sufficient to show that hmax increases by one scale height.

well i tired multiplying sigma or n by e and i get this
    [tex] q(h) = I_{t} \sigma n_{0} \exp\left(1 -\frac{h}{H} - \sigma n_{0} H \sec\chi \exp(1 - \frac{-h}{H})\right) [/tex]

the thing is i am not quite sure how one would show a displacement of H upward...
    are we aiming to get q(h) + H ? Is that the kind of dispacement that this quesiton requires?

as always, help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2006 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?