Chapter 6 of Srednicki's problems.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding an equation in the solutions manual for a textbook on quantum field theory. The person is trying to understand how the author arrived at the right-hand side of the equation and is questioning whether it was explicitly stated in the textbook. After some discussion and realization of a mistake, it is determined that the equation is correct and no additional assumptions were needed.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am reading the solutions manual of Srednicki's textbook in QFT (alongside reading the textbook itself).
Here it is:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/87916496/Srednicki-Ms-Qft-Solutions-Rev

So the equation that he arrives at (6.27).

I am not sure I understand how did he arrive at the RHS?

I mean if I write the exponent down, i.e [tex] e^{-(q_2-q_1)^2/(2c)} e^{-(q_1-q_0)^2/(2c)}[/tex]
then I get:
[tex]-[(q_2-q_1)^2/2c + (q_1 -q_0)^2/2c] = -[\frac{(q_2-q_0)^2}{4c} +\frac{2q_1^2-2q_1(q_2+q_0)+q_2q_0}{2c}[/tex]

Now to get the RHS we need to assume that: [tex]q_2q_0 - 2q_1(q_2+q_0)=0[/tex] which I don't see it written in the textbook, perhaps I skipped over it...

Is it written in the book?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the answer in (6.27) without any extra assumptions.

Do your Gaussian integral more carefully! :cool:

OK, I can see my mistake, it shouild be:

[tex] -[(q_2-q_1)^2/2x +(q_1-q_0)^2/2c] = -(q_2-q_0)^2/4c - (q_1 - (q_0+q_2)/2)^2/c [/tex]

So all is OK.
:-D foolish me.

1. What is the main topic of Chapter 6 in Srednicki's problems?

The main topic of Chapter 6 in Srednicki's problems is quantum field theory. This chapter covers the basics of quantum field theory, including the concept of fields, the Lagrangian formalism, and Feynman diagrams.

2. What are some key concepts discussed in Chapter 6?

Some key concepts discussed in Chapter 6 include the quantization of fields, the canonical quantization procedure, and the path integral formulation of quantum field theory. It also covers topics such as propagators, Feynman rules, and perturbation theory.

3. How does Chapter 6 relate to previous chapters in Srednicki's problems?

Chapter 6 builds upon the concepts and techniques introduced in previous chapters, such as quantum mechanics and classical field theory. It also lays the foundation for further topics in Srednicki's problems, such as renormalization and the Standard Model.

4. Are there any specific problems or exercises in Chapter 6?

Yes, Chapter 6 includes several problems and exercises to help readers apply the concepts discussed. These problems cover a range of topics, from calculating Feynman diagrams to solving for the propagator of a free scalar field.

5. Is Chapter 6 suitable for beginners in quantum field theory?

While Chapter 6 assumes some familiarity with quantum mechanics and classical field theory, it is still accessible for beginners in quantum field theory. The chapter provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject and includes helpful examples and exercises to aid understanding.