1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chapter discussion in Boas

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    I find that Chapter 3(Linear Algebra) in Boas is not very clear in certain areas. Could someone please recommend a book which does so more clearly?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

'A Survey of Modern Algebra' by Garrett Birkhoff and Saunders Mac Lane has a really good treatment of linear algebra. Anything particular that you didn't find clear in Boas' treatment, or the whole topic of linear algebra?
  4. Oct 7, 2008 #3
    She uses vectors to find distances between planes and such. Example given a plane 3x + 4y + 5z she immediately says the vector perpendicular to this plane is such and such. I don't know how she gets that.

Distance between lines, planes, parametric equations et. al. are not too clear.

Matrices could have been done with a little more depth. The different types of matrices are over in a flash.
  5. Oct 8, 2008 #4
    I suggest, if those are the difficulties, you get Stewart's calculus book from the library (DO NOT buy it!) and reading the relevant chapter(s) on vectors. For the matrices part, try finding a book on matrix algebra, which isn't quite the same as linear algebra. Perhaps something like these books (btw I have not read them):

Or other such books you can find in your library.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?