1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Character table for cyclic group of order 7

1. Feb 23, 2014 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a)Write down all irreducible representations of ##\mathbb{Z}_7##.
    b)How many of the irreducible representations are faithful?

2. Relevant equations
    Group structure of ##\mathbb{Z}_7 = \left\{e^{2\pi in/7}, \cdot \right\}## for ##n \in \left\{0,....,6\right\}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am trying to construct the character table of ##\mathbb{Z}_7##. Since this is an abelian group, there are 7 conjugacy classes and thus 7 one dimensional irreducible representations. Since the representations are all 1D, the character of the representation is simply the representation itself. My question is are the representations of the form ##e^{2\pi in/7}?## Letting n run from 0 to 6 does indeed give 7 irreducible representations.

I have in some notes the following statement: Let ##\rho## denote a representation. Then $$\rho(1)^7 = \rho(1^7) = \rho(1) = 1$$ Since ##\rho## is always 1D, it can be written as a complex scalar. Let ##x = \rho(1) \Rightarrow x^7 - 1 = 0## and thus the seven irreducible reps of 1 are of the form ##e^{2\pi in/7}## Do I do a similar analysis for the other elements? I wasn't sure though why ##\rho(1^7) = \rho(1)## though. ##1 \in \mathbb{Z}_7 = \left\{n, + | n \in \left\{0,...,6\right\}\right\}##, so I think ##1^7 = 1 + 1...+1 = 0## mod## 7##, by summing 1 seven times.

To mentors: This is from a course on symmetries of QM, so that is why I posted it here. Perhaps it is better elsewhere.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?