Nonlinear Characters and Finite Groups: A Case Study

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation in finite groups where non-linear characters are equal to zero on the derived subgroup, and an example of this is shown in the non-abelian group of order 27. The question is raised about why this occurs, and a suggestion is made to induce a linear character of the derived subgroup up to the original group and observe what happens.
Ant farm
Hi,
Ok, I have notice that for several finite groups the following situation occurs... I will use the non-abelian group of order 27 to illustrate the point I'm making:

The group has 11 charachers, 9 of which are linear.
The group has derived subgroup G' (= Z(G) the centre of the group...irrelevant!) has 3 elements, G/G' is isomorphic to C_3 x C_3

If the non linear characters are called Chi_10 and Chi_11, why are they equal to zero on G/G'?

Another example of where this occurs would be A_4, which has 3 linear characters, and one non-llinear, and the derived subgroup= V_4 so Chi_4, the non-linear character = 0 on the conjugacy classes (123) and (132)

Thank You very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an aspect of a named theory whose name escapes me... gah, that's annoying: the relation between characters of G and G/N for some normal subgroup. ARRRGH.

Anyway. Chi_10 cannot be zero on G/G' since Chi_10 is not a character of G/G'. It cannot afford a rep of G/G' unless G' is in the kernel of Chi_10. Anyway, the identity is certainly an element of G/G' so that can't be what you mean anyway.

Here's an idea for you to think about, that might be to do with what you're trying to get at. Take a (linear) character of G', now induce it up to G. What happens? Perhaps you might well be adding up w,w^2 and w^3 where w is a cube root of unity. What is w+w^2+w^3. Note: I have not checked this since I don't have pen or paper at hand. I might be selling you a dummy, sorry if I am.

Thank you for sharing this interesting observation. This is a common occurrence in finite groups, and it has to do with the structure of the group and the properties of its characters. In general, a finite group G of order n has n distinct irreducible characters, and these characters can be either linear or nonlinear. The number of linear characters is equal to the number of conjugacy classes in G, and the remaining characters are nonlinear.

In the case of the non-abelian group of order 27, we see that there are 11 characters, 9 of which are linear. This is because the group has 9 conjugacy classes, and each conjugacy class corresponds to a linear character. The remaining 2 characters, Chi_10 and Chi_11, are nonlinear.

Now, let's consider the derived subgroup G' of this group. As you mentioned, G' has 3 elements and G/G' is isomorphic to C_3 x C_3. This means that G/G' has 2 conjugacy classes, and therefore, only 2 linear characters. Since Chi_10 and Chi_11 are nonlinear characters, they are not defined on the elements of G/G' and therefore, their values are equal to zero on G/G'.

Similarly, in the case of A_4, we see that the derived subgroup V_4 has 2 elements, and A_4/V_4 is isomorphic to C_3. This means that there is only 1 conjugacy class in A_4/V_4, and therefore, only 1 linear character. Again, since Chi_4 is a nonlinear character, it is not defined on the elements of A_4/V_4, and its value is equal to zero on these elements.

In general, nonlinear characters are not defined on the elements of the derived subgroup, and therefore, their values are equal to zero on these elements. This is a consequence of the fact that nonlinear characters are not induced from linear characters, and they do not have a nice relationship with the structure of the group.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the situation. Thank you for sharing your case study and bringing attention to this interesting phenomenon.

1. What are nonlinear characters in finite groups?

Nonlinear characters are representations of finite groups in which the group elements are not mapped to linear transformations. Instead, they are mapped to non-linear transformations such as permutations or symmetries. These characters are important in understanding the structure and properties of finite groups.

2. What is the significance of studying nonlinear characters in finite groups?

Studying nonlinear characters in finite groups allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the group's structure and properties. It also helps in identifying the subgroups and normal subgroups of the group, which are important for solving various mathematical problems.

3. How are nonlinear characters calculated?

Nonlinear characters are calculated by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the non-linear transformation associated with each group element. These eigenvalues and eigenvectors are then used to construct the character table of the group, which provides a complete description of the group's irreducible representations.

4. Can nonlinear characters be used to classify finite groups?

Yes, nonlinear characters can be used to classify finite groups. In fact, they are often used in combination with linear characters to classify groups into different classes based on their character tables. This classification is important in understanding the properties and behavior of finite groups.

5. Are there any real-world applications of studying nonlinear characters in finite groups?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of studying nonlinear characters in finite groups. These include cryptography, coding theory, and signal processing. Nonlinear characters are also used in physics, chemistry, and other sciences to study the symmetries and properties of physical systems.