Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Characteristic function

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1
    Hi all,

Im currently researching into Multivariate distributions, in particular Im trying to derive the characteristic function of the bivariate distribution of a gaussian. While knowing that a gaussian density function cannot be integrated how is it possible to find the characteristic function. I have been working on it but I keep bumping in to a dead end. The following is what I did in the most recent dead end: (does anybody know why the latex thing aint working? I havnt been on here for a while)

so I have a double integral of the

exp{i*x*t_x+i*y*t_y}*(joint density function)

then I did the substitutions

I then simplified it down such that I get the following in the exponential expression

where si is the correlation coefficient, the problem is I cant complete the square because of the existance of si, would anybody know what I would need to do?

I had looked at Wolfram Mathworld website, its very interesting how it uses Eulers formula but isnt there any other way of doing it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

let w=au+bv and z=bu-av, where a^2+b^2=1. There will be some value of a where there will not be a cross product term for wz. Good luck!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?