1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Characteristic time sqrt(R_e/g) of Earth's gravity in General Relativity

1. Apr 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hiya,

I was looking over a General Relativity paper today, and at the end of a question on Geodesic Deviation, was "Give a brief statement of a physical effect or thought-experiment which illustrates how the time sqrt(R/g) characterises the Earth’s gravity." (R is the radius of the earth)

2. Relevant equations

t=sqrt(R/g)

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I have been looking through chapters of GR texts on Schwarzchild thought experiments, Bondi thought experiments etc., and can't find anything related to this quantity. Obviously any expression containing g characterises earth's gravity, but I simply don't know what physical effect or thought-experiment the question could be referring to. If anyone could help it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?