Light & Space: Investigating the Unknown

• B
  • Thread starter john-of-the-divine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Space
In summary, scientists once believed there was a medium (which they called the aether) in which light needed in order to travel. This was disproved, as electromagnetic waves do not need a medium to travel through. Gravity is a fact of space-time curvature.
john-of-the-divine said:
I'm not necessarily anti math, and I'm not unwilling to learn it
I would recommend starting with special relativity. All it requires is high school level algebra and geometry. It will introduce the concept of spacetime and the idea of Minkowski geometry which is different from Euclidean geometry, but is still very concrete as far as being able to draw pictures. You can learn about the experiments performed to date and the alternative theories that have been ruled out. You can learn about reference frames and laws of physics and causality.

Wheeler's Spacetime Physics is highly recommended, and there are a lot of online free resources too.

Likes john-of-the-divine and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
john-of-the-divine said:
just because the math works doesn't make it anything less then a best guess

Math is logic applied quantitatively. You can't give up math without giving up the underlying logic. Don't you want your answers to be logical?

Likes john-of-the-divine, berkeman, weirdoguy and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Math is logic applied quantitatively. You can't give up math without giving up the underlying logic. Don't you want your answers to be logical?

exactly! You're good at stating things clearly.

Likes john-of-the-divine
thank you, all of you. I know th8s is a debate I should have had with my professor, but I never got that chance. I appreciate the patience and non-buttheadness. I am, i feel, an ameture philosopher, at least some one noticed, lol. I do want to understand because because science is a big part of my belief system/philosophy. I'm just looking for undeniable truth is all. thank you, guess I have to learn the math. ouch, lol

Likes berkeman
I am not entirely confident in my knowladge to make replies in this forum, however, looking back to my younger age i would apprectiate someone saying this to me, so i will write it.
john-of-the-divine said:
even though I'm no math expert, it really isn't that far fetched to believe the math could have been forced to fit a model. just because the math works doesn't make it anything less then a best guess. but, like I said, we won't know for sure till we go out there and look.

Physics without math doesn't really work.

One simple example - you know Newtonian theory of gravitation from high school i guess? Then you remember - two objects of certain mass attract each other and the closer they are, the more they attract each other (and as 1/r2 which means the force goes to infinity when distance goes to zero). Someday you may come across a situation where two wet plates of glass touch each other, and glue themself together. And you remember - they have some mass, so they attract each other. Since they touched, they are very very close together, so the attraction is very strong and that explains why they seem to be glued to each other. Sounds logical. But what if they weren't wet? Then the attraction is weak. But if they are touching each other the attraction should be strong. Then you say - ok, perhaps the plate is not perfectly polished, so it is not touching each other perfectly. And since water is fluid, it will fill the empty spaces and touching will become again perfect.

And on and on you can go explaining stuff using ideas you read somewhere in pop-science books, but you will never know wheter what you said is the actual "truth" or some random mix. You need to make actual calculations to see wheter it fits what you observe or not.

Then there is problem with clarity. When you say something, you need to know what it means. What is space-time? What is electron? What is gravity? What is electromagnetism? You need math to give those words meaning that cannot be misunderstood. And when you go into more and more modern stuff, the misunderstanding will happen with bigger and bigger certainty, because language we use in our everyday lives, and experiences we have are simply too different from what is going on in the math.

When i was at high school i enjoyed so much reading pop-books like hawkings books etc., but looking back (i am doing masters degree now) i didnt learn from those books and discussions on the internet anything at all. It is only now that i can read those books and understand what they mean.

john-of-the-divine said:
I know there has to be something that mass effects to create gravity. I used the term "fabric" as a reflection of that something knowing it's really not a fabric, hahaha. But, this field, do you think it's the "aether", just different then what was once thought to exist?

Physics doesn't care about question "what is this". It cares only about properties. We say - the thing i am talking about (spacetime) has such and such influence on this and this thing. Then we look around and see wheter those influences are observed. If yes, then we say we have good theory and we are happy. But we don't ponder about what it is. And reason is simple - because it is unknowable. All information that comes to you is only of appearances and properties. It is similar to question - do we both see the same picture in the same way? If you see red as i see green, but you call it red, because you were taught to, then you would see different picture in your mind, then the one i see. And there is no way to convey the information of what you see to me, since when it comes to me, it is my brain who interprets it and creates mental picture. So one should forget about this philosophical questions and start looking only on appearances, properties = math. The non-mathematical explanations are only to help intuition to be able to better work with math (or to catch interest of your audience), but it is not fundamental part of science.

We have model of spacetime called general relativity. With this model we can simulate things we observe in universe and ask wheter the simulations have same results as what was observed. If they are same, we are happy and confident with our model until some disagreement is found. If spacetime would slow down photons, then certianly observing distant galaxies we would found disagreements with our model. I am no cosmologist, but i know there are some problems with our models and some people work on new theory of gravity that would explain it better (and there is of course problem of quantum gravity). This discussion i leave for actual experts, but my point was this: we only concern ourself wheter the theory works or not. You said you cannot bend nothing, so be it. Call it different name than nothing, imagine whatever you like. But it has to have the same properties as our purely geometrical approach (assuming our theory works) in order to explain observed phehomena. But in the end it doesn't matter. What matters are only properties, because only those are knowable, other than that is only imagination and speculations. Good for intuition or wonder - but are not fundamental part of science.

Likes john-of-the-divine
Umaxo said:
Since they touched, they are very very close together, so the attraction is very strong and that explains why they seem to be glued to each other. Sounds logical.
Please do not attack your own straw men. The centers of mass of the plates are not touching. More relevantly, if you do the integration, the force does not get huge just because the surfaces are touching. The failure is not because the math is wrong. It is because one did the math wrongly.

jbriggs444 said:
Please do not attack your own straw men. The centers of mass of the plates are not touching. More relevantly, if you do the integration, the force does not get huge just because the surfaces are touching. The failure is not because the math is wrong. It is because one did the math wrongly.

Exactly

john-of-the-divine said:
thank you, all of you. I know th8s is a debate I should have had with my professor, but I never got that chance. I appreciate the patience and non-buttheadness. I am, i feel, an ameture philosopher, at least some one noticed, lol. I do want to understand because because science is a big part of my belief system/philosophy. I'm just looking for undeniable truth is all. thank you, guess I have to learn the math. ouch, lol
May I suggest Relativity for Poets by Ben Crowell (a former member of staff on this forum), which you can download for free from http://lightandmatter.com/poets/.

It's mostly text and diagrams with very little maths.

Likes john-of-the-divine and Ibix
john-of-the-divine said:
I'm just looking for undeniable truth is all. lol

René Descartes did the same and is a neat story.

Likes john-of-the-divine
john-of-the-divine said:
I'm saying that compared to the size of the universe, the distance to the moon is like an inch compared to 100 miles. I don't know the actual scale...

The diameter of your estimate for the size of the Universe is less than 2.6 light years.
Archimedes in The Sand Reckoner about 2250 years ago figured about 2 light years.

Likes john-of-the-divine
jbriggs444 said:
hey, he said he might not have enough knowledge
DrGreg said:
May I suggest Relativity for Poets by Ben Crowell (a former member of staff on this forum), which you can download for free from http://lightandmatter.com/poets/.

It's mostly text and diagrams with very little maths.
thankyou, I appreciate it a lot.

bahamagreen said:
The diameter of your estimate for the size of the Universe is less than 2.6 light years.
Archimedes in The Sand Reckoner about 2250 years ago figured about 2 light years.
see, that's what I'm saying, is the math "calibrated" big enough? guess that's a better question. light is a photon, right? and everything else of the known energy spectrum, are those made of photons?

john-of-the-divine said:
see, that's what I'm saying, is the math "calibrated" big enough?
We use the observations to calibrate the model.

Dale said:
We use the observations to calibrate the model.
and we can only observe what we can see

john-of-the-divine said:
and we can only observe what we can see
No

Dale said:
No
ok, then we can only observe what we can observe. by you saying no is saying every thing in exictance is observable to us now. that heresy against science

john-of-the-divine said:
then we can only observe what we can observe.
Yes, tautologically

Likes berkeman
Dale said:
Yes, tautologically
exactly

what if the Michelson Morley experiment failed because the spliter and mirrors each technically became a new "source" of light.

john-of-the-divine said:
what if the Michelson Morley experiment failed because the spliter and mirrors each technically became a new "source" of light.
The explanation for the null result (not a failure) is already consistent with considering the mirrors and beam-splitter as sources. This is an application of Huygens' Principle.

Likes john-of-the-divine
Ibix said:
The explanation for the null result (not a failure) is already consistent with considering the mirrors and beam-splitter as sources. This is an application of Huygens' Principle.
it's like looking at the sun when your under water. the sun appears to be on the surface of the water.

john-of-the-divine said:
That is considered and investigated experimentally. It is called the ballistic model and is ruled out by observations of binary stars

john-of-the-divine said:
if you can't explain without numbers, then what makes the math so infallible?

It works! That's all there is to it. The math works. Engineers, scientists, and technicians use it to build stuff and do stuff.

Explanations are simply descriptions of what the math does for us.

Mister T said:
It works! That's all there is to it. The math works. Engineers, scientists, and technicians use it to build stuff and do stuff.

Explanations are simply descriptions of what the math does for us.
math is a form of explanation. it can tell us how to build something, but it doesn't build it for us.

Dale said:
That is considered and investigated experimentally. It is called the ballistic model and is ruled out by observations of binary stars
can you point me to a source on that by any chance. I can't find one.

john-of-the-divine said:
math is a form of explanation. it can tell us how to build something, but it doesn't build it for us.

Which is why math is integrated into scientific theories which are then verified through observations and experiments.

If you're asking why math itself is logical and self-consistent (IE why it works), that's not a question that anyone can answer.

Likes john-of-the-divine
Drakkith said:
Which is why math is integrated into scientific theories which are then verified through observations and experiments.

If you're asking why math itself is logical and self-consistent (IE why it works), that's not a question that anyone can answer.
no, that's not my question.

math is like a road map. there are many roads that can take you to get to many destinations, and you can get from any destination to any destination. from point a to point b there are many routes you can take to get you there. problem is, we are learning the routes and the stops and the destination as we go, as well as all the laws and regulations. the the routes are only straight till they hit a stop, destination, law or regulation, the routes constently swerving in and out, up and down, side to side. it all started with the first concept of numbers. from there it went, 2+2=4. adding, subtracting, multiplication, division...you get the point. we didn't know these routes till we started exploring by thinking of destinations that we can think of. we can't see the destination through the tangled mess of routes, but we know they are there. from our previous expereanc and knowledge of the routes we know, we can have a general idea of what road to take. then the next one and the next but, the deeper we go, the routes get more dense and tangled with more routes, new and different regulations. eventually, we make it to our destination. so, we look back, and we can retrace or route and we know it now. from there, there are many other roads to many other destination, or look back and say "hey, wait. looks like a different road that looks like it goes back to our last stop we just came from. let's see if it takes us back". and eventually, you make it back. a new route. two different routes between different points. and it's sometimes shorter. so now we find different routes here and there. between different stops and destinations. over time, we became so good at traversing this map of math, we start to be able to make predictions. if we went this way to get over there, then this way might take us over here. sometimes we're right, sometimes wrong. But the experience gained from the wrong path makes us better at predicting. we start to become right more often. now we are getting so deep in this map that we have to imagine new destinations. and we've gotten so in that area that it seems like we've made it to the imagined destination, when it only appears to be the destination we are looking for (previous theories). till we noticed a few key "attractions" are missing. so we go back and look for what wrong turn we made, and look for the "corrected" route from there to make it to the destination we were looking for (new theory). sometimes a route is proven and that theory becomes fact. But the route should never be looked at as the route to the destination till it's proven a fact and not just a theory because it can blind us from the real destination, and we are stuck in the apparent destintation. this is why I question the math.

Thread closed for Moderation...

john-of-the-divine said:
math is like a road map. there are many roads that can take you to get to many destinations, and you can get from any destination to any destination...

[snip]

... sometimes a route is proven and that theory becomes fact. But the route should never be looked at as the route to the destination till it's proven a fact and not just a theory because it can blind us from the real destination, and we are stuck in the apparent destintation. this is why I question the math.

By your own admission in this thread you know next to nothing about mathematics, especially the foundations of math and the methods and manners by which mathematical progress is made. Before making sweeping statements like the quote above it would be greatly beneficial for you to take some time and look into what math actually is and how it works. I assure you there is far more to math than what you've written here. I'm sure the folks in the Math forums would gladly help you out if you tell them you're interested in learning about the underlying logic and such of math.

In addition, the phrase "proven a fact and not just a theory" demonstrates that you also know very little about science. Scientific theories are never, ever proven in an absolute sense. Every theory, every single one, is subject to change or falsification at any time. Every scientific law, rule, theory, and hypothesis could come crashing down tomorrow or next Tuesday or ten billion years from now.

I applaud your interest in math and science, and I hope all of this hasn't rubbed you the wrong way, but you need to understand that questioning is simply the first step in learning. You must put in the necessary time and effort if you want to actually learn things. And unfortunately this means learning at least a little bit of math. Not necessarily a lot. Much of special relativity can be understood with just basic algebra and perhaps vectors. But you'll have to learn at least a little bit.

It's your choice.

Thread will remain locked.

Likes berkeman and Orodruin
<h2>1. What is "Light & Space: Investigating the Unknown"?</h2><p>"Light & Space: Investigating the Unknown" is a scientific research project that aims to explore and understand the mysteries of light and space. It involves conducting experiments, collecting data, and analyzing results to gain new insights into these fascinating subjects.</p><h2>2. What are some examples of experiments that will be conducted in this project?</h2><p>Some examples of experiments that will be conducted in this project include measuring the speed of light, studying the behavior of light in different mediums, and observing the effects of gravity on light.</p><h2>3. Why is it important to study light and space?</h2><p>Studying light and space is crucial for a better understanding of our universe and the laws of physics that govern it. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, telecommunications, and technology.</p><h2>4. Who can participate in "Light & Space: Investigating the Unknown"?</h2><p>This project is open to all scientists and researchers who are interested in the study of light and space. Students, professionals, and amateurs alike are welcome to contribute their knowledge and expertise to this project.</p><h2>5. How can I get involved in "Light & Space: Investigating the Unknown"?</h2><p>If you are interested in getting involved in this project, you can reach out to the team of researchers and scientists leading the project. They will provide information on how you can contribute and participate in the research activities.</p>

1. What is "Light & Space: Investigating the Unknown"?

"Light & Space: Investigating the Unknown" is a scientific research project that aims to explore and understand the mysteries of light and space. It involves conducting experiments, collecting data, and analyzing results to gain new insights into these fascinating subjects.

2. What are some examples of experiments that will be conducted in this project?

Some examples of experiments that will be conducted in this project include measuring the speed of light, studying the behavior of light in different mediums, and observing the effects of gravity on light.

3. Why is it important to study light and space?

Studying light and space is crucial for a better understanding of our universe and the laws of physics that govern it. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, telecommunications, and technology.

4. Who can participate in "Light & Space: Investigating the Unknown"?

This project is open to all scientists and researchers who are interested in the study of light and space. Students, professionals, and amateurs alike are welcome to contribute their knowledge and expertise to this project.

5. How can I get involved in "Light & Space: Investigating the Unknown"?

If you are interested in getting involved in this project, you can reach out to the team of researchers and scientists leading the project. They will provide information on how you can contribute and participate in the research activities.