Short topical webpage title: Proving Properties of Unital Rings

• MHB
  • Thread starter fredpeterson57
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary: If the characteristic is 1, then $0=1\cdot1$ implies that $1=0$, which is also not possible for an integral domain.In summary, the characteristic of a unital ring is the smallest positive integer n such that $n\cdot 1=0$. If no such n exists, the characteristic is 0. To prove that every unital ring of characteristic zero is infinite, one can use a proof by contradiction by showing that the elements $n\cdot 1\ (n\in\Bbb{N})$ are all different. To prove that the characteristic of an integral domain is either 0 or prime, one can use the fact that if the characteristic is composite or 1,
fredpeterson57
Context: Let R be a unital ring. The characteristic of R is the smallest positive integer n such that $n\cdot 1=0$. If no such n exists, we say R has characteristic 0. We denote the characteristic of a ring by char(R).
I'm particularly lost as to how to prove the following propositions:
(a) Every unital ring of characteristic zero is infinite (I'm thinking of using a proof by contradiction for this, but I have no idea how)

(b) The characteristic of an integral domain is either 0 or prime (if I somehow manage to show that if the characteristic of an integral domain is composite or 1, then it is not an integral domain, then I think I will be able to prove this).

Physics news on Phys.org
fredpeterson57 said:
Context: Let R be a unital ring. The characteristic of R is the smallest positive integer n such that $n\cdot 1=0$. If no such n exists, we say R has characteristic 0. We denote the characteristic of a ring by char(R).
I'm particularly lost as to how to prove the following propositions:
(a) Every unital ring of characteristic zero is infinite (I'm thinking of using a proof by contradiction for this, but I have no idea how)

(b) The characteristic of an integral domain is either 0 or prime (if I somehow manage to show that if the characteristic of an integral domain is composite or 1, then it is not an integral domain, then I think I will be able to prove this).
(a) Show that if the ring has characteristic zero then the elements $n\cdot 1\ (n\in\Bbb{N})$ are all different.

(b) If the characteristic $n$ of the ring is a composite number, say $n = pq$, then $0 = n\cdot1 = pq\cdot1 = (p\cdot1)(q\cdot1)$. Now use the fact that an integral domain does not have zero-divisors to show that either $p\cdot1=0$ or $q\cdot1=0$ (contradicting the fact that $n$ is the smallest number with that property).

1. What are the different types of rings?

There are several types of rings, including engagement rings, wedding rings, fashion rings, and promise rings. Engagement rings are typically given as a symbol of commitment before marriage, while wedding rings are exchanged during the marriage ceremony. Fashion rings are worn for aesthetic purposes and can come in a variety of styles and designs. Promise rings are often given as a symbol of commitment in a romantic relationship.

2. What materials are commonly used to make rings?

The most common materials used to make rings are precious metals such as gold, silver, and platinum. Other materials include gemstones, diamonds, and pearls. In recent years, alternative materials like tungsten, titanium, and stainless steel have also become popular for rings.

3. How do you determine the correct ring size?

The most accurate way to determine ring size is to visit a jeweler and have them measure your finger. However, you can also measure your finger at home using a printable ring size chart or by using a piece of string to measure the circumference of your finger and comparing it to a ring size chart.

4. What are the different styles of rings?

There are many different styles of rings, including solitaire, halo, pave, three-stone, and eternity. Solitaire rings feature a single center stone, while halo rings have a center stone surrounded by smaller stones. Pave rings have small diamonds or gemstones set closely together, giving the appearance of a paved surface. Three-stone rings feature three stones, often representing the past, present, and future. Eternity rings have stones set all the way around the band.

5. How do you care for rings?

To keep your rings looking their best, it is important to clean them regularly. You can use a jewelry cleaner or simply soak them in warm water and mild soap. Avoid wearing rings while doing activities that may cause damage, such as cleaning or exercising. It is also recommended to have your rings professionally inspected and cleaned at least once a year. Proper storage, such as in a jewelry box or pouch, can also help prevent damage to rings.