Characters and reducibility (D4 in particular)

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
In summary, the representation \Gamma_5 \otimes \Gamma_5 is a new and unique irreducible representation of D4, with characters X_2 = X_4 = X_5 = 0 and X_1 = X_3 = 4, and it is not equivalent to any of the 5 known irreps of D4.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I am working with D4 group . I have found its character table (check Table 4 here: http://eprints.utm.my/63/1/Irreducible_Representations_of_Groups_of_Order_8.pdf)

And now working with the case that you take: [itex] \Gamma_5 \otimes \Gamma_5[/itex] and want to find whether it's irreducible or reducible...
For that I need its character and using trace identities obtain:
[itex]X \equiv \chi_{\Gamma_5 \otimes \Gamma_5}= \chi_{\Gamma_5} \chi_{\Gamma_5}[/itex]
In this case so we have that:
[itex]X_2= X_4 =X_5 =0 [/itex]
and [itex]X_1 =X_3 = 4[/itex]

The equation proving wether it's reducible or not is:
[itex] \sum_i |C_i| X_i^2 = |G| = |D_4|=8 [/itex]
Else it would be greater than 8 (because of the existence of more than 1 Clebsch-Gordan coefficient)
This is true (since [itex]|C_1|=|C_3|=1[/itex] ) so the representation is irreducible...
However its characters are =4 and they don't coincide with any other character of the 5-known-irreps of D4... to which irrep is it equivalent?

Physics news on Phys.org

Based on the information provided, it seems that the representation \Gamma_5 \otimes \Gamma_5 is irreducible and does not coincide with any of the 5 known irreps of D4. This means that it is a new and unique irrep for D4. However, to fully determine its properties and equivalence to other irreps, more information and analysis would be needed. It is possible that this irrep may have similarities or connections to other known irreps, but further investigation would be necessary to determine this.

1. What is meant by "characters" in the context of D4 reducibility?

Characters refer to the different types or categories of elements within a given system or structure. In the context of D4 reducibility, characters are used to describe the various characteristics and properties of the elements within the D4 group, which is a mathematical structure used to represent symmetries in four-dimensional space.

2. How are characters used to determine reducibility in the D4 group?

In the D4 group, characters are used to classify the different types of symmetries that are possible within four-dimensional space. By analyzing the characters of a given symmetry, it is possible to determine whether it can be reduced to a combination of simpler symmetries or if it is irreducible.

3. What is the significance of reducibility in the D4 group?

The concept of reducibility in the D4 group is important because it allows for a deeper understanding of the symmetries present in four-dimensional space. By breaking down complex symmetries into simpler ones, scientists are able to study and analyze them more effectively.

4. Can characters be used to classify other groups besides D4?

Yes, characters can be used to classify and analyze the properties of groups beyond just D4. In fact, characters are a commonly used tool in group theory, which is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structures of groups.

5. Are there any limitations to using characters for reducibility analysis in the D4 group?

While characters are a useful tool for studying reducibility in the D4 group, they do have some limitations. For example, characters may not be able to fully capture the complexity of certain symmetries or may not be applicable to all types of symmetries in four-dimensional space.