1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Characters of a Group Action

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the symmetric group on n-letters denoted [itex] S_n [/itex]. For [itex] \lambda [/itex] a positive integer partition of n (under the usual cycle type notation) define [itex] \sigma_\lambda[/itex] to be the character of the permutation representation of [itex] S_n [/itex] acting on the set of all ways to divide n into sets of size [itex] \lambda[/itex].

Show that these characters have the following values on conjugacy classes of [itex] S_4 [/itex]

[tex] \begin{array}{l|rrrrr}
    & [1 1 1 1] & [2 1 1] & [2 2] & [3 1] & [4] \\ \hline
    \sigma_4 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
    \sigma_{3,1} & 4 & 2 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
    \sigma_{2,2} & 6 & 2 & 2 & 0 & 0 \\
    \sigma_{2,1,1} & 12 & 2 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    \sigma_{1,1,1,1} & 24 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Even just trying to figure out what "the character of the permutation representation of [itex] S_n [/itex] acting on the set of all ways to divide n into sets of size [itex] \lambda[/itex]" means is hurting my head, though I think I might get it. In particular, let [itex] \mu [/itex] be another partition of n and take [itex] S_\mu [/itex] to be the set of all [itex] \mu [/itex] partitions of [itex] \{ 1, 2, \cdots, n \} [/itex]. Then [itex] (\lambda,\mu) [/itex] element of the table is the number of fixed points of [itex] S_\mu [/itex] under permutations of cycle type [itex] \lambda [/itex].

First Question: Have I interpreted this correctly? Some scratch calculations imply the numbers in the table may actually be the number of orbits (for any fixed element) of the action.

Second Question: Is this well defined? Namely, by choosing an arbitrary [itex] \lambda [/itex] cycle, are we always ensured the number of fixed points of [itex] S_\mu [/itex] are the same? I think this is true (and must be for the table to make sense), and works because [itex] S_\mu [/itex] contains ALL the possible partitions of n by [itex] \mu[/itex].

Third Question: How does one calculate these table values in a reasonable way. I can kind of see it, but it's not precise in my head.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?