Charge and excess electrons

In summary: The conversion factor of 10-6 would be correct.In summary, the problem involves a charged nonconducting rod with specific dimensions and a volume charge density. The task is to determine the number of excess electrons on the rod if the charge density is uniform or nonuniform. Using relevant equations, the summary provides the correct solution for part a but identifies a mistake in the solution for part b, which is then corrected by converting the units of the constant b. The final answer is multiplied by the appropriate conversion factor to obtain the correct result.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

A charged nonconducting rod, with a length of 1.33 m and a cross-sectional area of 3.40 cm2, lies along the positive side of an x axis with one end at the origin. The volume charge density ρ is charge per unit volume in coulombs per cubic meter. How many excess electrons are on the rod if ρ is (a) uniform, with a value of -4.22 µC/m3, and (b) nonuniform, with a value given by ρ = bx2, where b = -2.66 µC/m5?

Homework Equations

q=ne
p=bx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part a:
n=(p(a)L)/e
n=(-4.22E-6C)(3.4E-4m^2)(1.33m)/(-1.6E-19C)
n=1.193E10 electrons

Part b is where i was incorrect
p=bx^2
p=-2.66x^2
dq=Apdx
=3.4E-4*-2.66x^2dx
so q=9.04E-4* the integral of x^2dx from 0 to 1.33
q=-7.09E-4C
n=q/e
=-7.09E-4C/-1.6E-19C
=4.431E15 electrons<----- this was incorrect and I am unsure of my mistake

Physics news on Phys.org
Jrlinton said:
Part b is where i was incorrect
p=bx^2
p=-2.66x^2
dq=Apdx
=3.4E-4*-2.66x^2dx
so q=9.04E-4* the integral of x^2dx from 0 to 1.33
q=-7.09E-4C
n=q/e
=-7.09E-4C/-1.6E-19C
=4.431E15 electrons<----- this was incorrect and I am unsure of my mistake

Looks like the order of magnitude went astray starting here. 10-4 is too big. Check the units of the constant b.

Right, so multiply the final answer by the conversion factor of microcoulombs to coulombs of E-6.

That'll work.

1. What is charge?

Charge refers to the fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. It can be positive or negative, and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

2. What are excess electrons?

Excess electrons are electrons that are not bound to an atom or molecule, and therefore are free to move and carry an electrical charge. They can be produced by various processes such as friction, heat, or radiation.

3. How do excess electrons affect the behavior of materials?

Excess electrons can cause materials to become electrically charged, either positively or negatively. This can lead to a variety of behaviors, such as attraction or repulsion between objects, the ability to conduct electricity, and the creation of electric fields.

4. Can excess electrons be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, excess electrons can be harnessed for practical use in various technologies, such as batteries, solar cells, and electronic devices. They can also be used in research and experiments to study the behavior of materials and electricity.

5. How can excess electrons be removed from a material?

Excess electrons can be removed from a material through processes such as grounding, where the material is connected to a conductor that allows the excess electrons to flow away. They can also be removed through chemical reactions or discharges of electricity.