1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge by contact question!

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    When a metal sphere, A, with a charge of +5q is touched to a sphere,B, with a charge of -q what would each of the spheres charge would be and what would there the circle view of the final sphere?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Gyoza06,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Could you rewrite the problem? I'm not sure how to interpret it. Is sphere A the same size as sphere B? What do you mean by "circle view" and "final" sphere?

Also, please let us know what you think the answer is and why. You must show us that you have attempted the problem before we can help. :smile:

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3
    ya sorry im new to this but the spheres are identical and by final circle view i mean the picture diagram used to show the charge take place with a circle with either + or - signs indicating the charge. if i messed this up again i apologize.

5. Mar 30, 2010 #4
    my solution is sphere A ends up with a charge of +2.5q and sphere B ends up with a charge of +1.5q

6. Mar 30, 2010 #5

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should rethink your answer. If the conducting spheres are identical in size and shape, and there is a charge difference between them, current will flow from one sphere to the other if they are touching (thus changing the charge on each sphere) until equilibrium is reached.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook