Charge carrier drift velocity of wire

Homework Statement

1.JPG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Current is I = nqvA so drift velocity V is: V = I/nqA

Drift velocity for x is: Vx = I/nqA

Drift velocity for y is: Vy = 2I/nqA

So the ratio of Vx : Vy should be 2:1 since Vy is equal to 2 lots of Vx?? (but correct answer is B)

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor
So the ratio of Vx : Vy should be 2:1 since Vy is equal to 2 lots of Vx?? (but correct answer is B)
You may want to rethink your logic there.

Edit: My mistake. I presumed that their table presented the ratios as ##V_y:V_x##, but looking again at the text I see that it's the other way around. So the book's suggested answer is incorrect as you found.

Edit2: I retract my retraction! See later postings.

Last edited:

Homework Statement

View attachment 111644

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Current is I = nqvA so drift velocity V is: V = I/nqA

Drift velocity for x is: Vx = I/nqA

Drift velocity for y is: Vy = 2I/nqA

Nothing seems wrong with your calculation. Answer should be 2:1. But books sometimes give wrong answers.

You may want to rethink your logic there.

Edit: My mistake. I presumed that their table presented the ratios as ##V_y:V_x##, but looking again at the text I see that it's the other way around. So the book's suggested answer is incorrect as you found.

Nothing seems wrong with your calculation. Answer should be 2:1. But books sometimes give wrong answers.

I've done this question a few times now and ended up with the same answer, but the question is from an official exam paper in the UK so I don't believe there's been a mistake.

FYI, here's what the mark scheme says:

1.JPG

How can it still be B?

gneill
Mentor
I'm retracting my edit from before. Clearly the coffee isn't working this morning :smile:

If the cross sectional area is halved the velocity doubles. So Vy is twice Vx as you originally pointed out:
since Vy is equal to 2 lots of Vx
So ##V_y## is twice the size of ##V_x##. That makes the ratio ##V_x:V_y = 1:2## which is indeed answer B.

I'm retracting my edit from before. Clearly the coffee isn't working this morning :smile:

If the cross sectional area is halved the velocity doubles. So Vy is twice Vx as you originally pointed out:

So ##V_y## is twice the size of ##V_x##. That the ratio ##V_x:V_y = 1:2## which is indeed answer B.

Indeed. Vy/2=Vx , so Vx: Vy should be 1:2 because then Vy÷2=1.

So ##V_y## is twice the size of ##V_x##. That makes the ratio ##V_x:V_y = 1:2## which is indeed answer B.

Indeed. Vy/2=Vx , so Vx: Vy should be 1:2 because then Vy÷2=1.

Vx = I/nqA

and

Vy = 2[I/nqA] = 2Vx

so doesn't that mean that for every 1 part of Vx we have half a part of Vy? So that 2 parts of Vx gives 1 part of Vy so the ratio is still C, 2:1?? Argh!

gneill
Mentor
Pick a value for the magnitude of Vx, say 1. What value would you assign to Vy using your expressions?

Vx = I/nqA

and

Vy = 2[I/nqA] = 2Vx

so doesn't that mean that for every 1 part of Vx we have half a part of Vy? So that 2 parts of Vx gives 1 part of Vy so the ratio is still C, 2:1?? Argh!

2Vx=Vy. So , if the value of Vx is 1, value of Vy should be 2 right?

gneill
Mentor
2Vx=Vy. So , if the value of Vx is 1, value of Vy should be 2 right?
Right. So, Vx = 1, Vy = 2. What's Vx:Vy?

Right. So, Vx = 1, Vy = 2. What's Vx:Vy?

Then Vx:Vy should be 1:2