Charge conjugation operator

In summary, charge conjugation is defined as the exchange of particles with antiparticles in the Dirac spinor field. This is represented by the unitary charge-conjugation operator and can be written in terms of mode decomposition and matrix operations. The proof of ## C\gamma ^{a}=-\gamma ^{a}C ## may require further study of other terms and conventions used in the literature.
The black vegetable
TL;DR Summary
What does the charge conjugation operator do mathematically?
I have in my notes the charge conjugation operator converts the spinnor into its complex conjugate ,

##
C\begin{pmatrix}
\varepsilon \\ \eta

\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}
\varepsilon^{*}{} \\ \eta ^{*}

\end{pmatrix}##when applied to gamma matrix from dirac equation does it do the same? Trying to prove that

## C\gamma ^{a}=-\gamma ^{a}C ##

Any tips appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends a bit on the source from which you study, because there are several conventions around in the literature. The usual definition, as to be found in standard textbooks like Peskin&Schroeder they define charge conjugation on the Dirac spinor field by exchanging particles with anti-particles, i.e., if ##\hat{a}(\vec{p},\sigma)## are the annihilation operators for particles and ##\hat{b}(\vec{p},s)## those of antiparticles you define the unitary charge-conjugation operator via
$$\hat{C} \hat{a}(\vec{p},\sigma) \hat{C}^{\dagger}=\hat{b}(\vec{p},\sigma).$$
Using the properties of the mode functions in the mode decomposition of the Dirac-field operator this gives
$$\hat{C} \hat{\psi}(x) \hat{C}^{\dagger}=-\mathrm{i} \left (\bar{\psi} \gamma^0 \gamma^2 \right)^{\text{T}}$$
and
$$\hat{C} \overline{\psi}(x) \hat{C}^{\dagger}=-\mathrm{i} \left (\gamma^0 \gamma^2 \psi \right)^{\dagger}.$$

Likes The black vegetable
Okay thanks, was thinking I could do it purely by matrices but will have to look more into it as I'm not familiar with some other terms you used :)

1. What is the charge conjugation operator?

The charge conjugation operator is a mathematical operation that transforms a particle into its corresponding antiparticle, exchanging its charge and other quantum numbers.

2. Why is the charge conjugation operator important in particle physics?

The charge conjugation operator is important because it helps us understand the symmetry and behavior of particles and antiparticles, and it is a fundamental concept in the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. How is the charge conjugation operator represented mathematically?

The charge conjugation operator is represented by the symbol C with a hat on top, and it is a unitary operator in quantum mechanics.

4. Can the charge conjugation operator change the type of a particle?

No, the charge conjugation operator does not change the type of a particle. It only transforms a particle into its antiparticle with the same mass and spin, but opposite charge and other quantum numbers.

5. What is the difference between charge conjugation and parity?

Charge conjugation and parity are two different types of symmetry operations in particle physics. While charge conjugation changes the charge of a particle, parity changes the spatial orientation of a particle. Both operations can be combined to form the CPT operator, which is a fundamental symmetry in quantum field theory.