Charge contained in this gas

• Thread starter rayhan619
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge Gas
In summary: Avogadro's number.In summary, to find the amount of positive charge contained in 2.0 mol of O2 gas in the atomic nuclei, we can use the equation q = Ne and the definition of Avogadro's number. With this, we can calculate that there are 12.046*10^23 protons and the total positive charge would be 19.27*10^4 coulombs. However, since oxygen gas is diatomic, the number of atoms is half of Avogadro's number, resulting in a final answer of 9.635*10^4 coulombs.
rayhan619

Homework Statement

Suppose you have 2.0 mol of O2gas.
How many coulombs of positive charge are contained in this gas in the atomic nuclei?

Homework Equations

q = Ne

The Attempt at a Solution

i guess i have to use the avogadros's number somehow. but not sure how does that fit in this equation

Physics news on Phys.org
rayhan619 said:
i guess i have to use the avogadros's number somehow. but not sure how does that fit in this equation

Yes you do. What is the definition of Avagadro's number? That gets you most of the way to the answer...

so we have 6.023*10^23 atoms in 1 mole.
so in 2 mole we have 6.023*10^23*2 = 12.046*10^23 proton
and the charge of each proton is 1.6*10^-19.
so total positive charge would be 1.6*10^-19*12.046*10^23 = 19.27*10^4
but that wasnt the right answer

rayhan619 said:
Suppose you have 2.0 mol of O2gas.
How many coulombs of positive charge are contained in this gas in the atomic nuclei?

Re-read the problem statement... :wink:

im sorry i don't get it.
if we use the above equation, then e = q/N = 2/6.023*10^23 = 0.33*10^-23
?
Im lost

rayhan619 said:
im sorry i don't get it.
if we use the above equation, then e = q/N = 2/6.023*10^23 = 0.33*10^-23
?
Im lost

The numbers you are using are for a monatomic gas. Oxygen gas is diatomic...

1. What is the definition of charge contained in gas?

The charge contained in a gas refers to the amount of electric charge present within the gas molecules or atoms. This charge can be positive or negative and is responsible for the electrical properties of the gas.

2. How is the charge contained in gas measured?

The charge contained in gas is measured using a device called an electrometer. This instrument can measure the electric potential difference between two points in the gas and calculate the charge based on this measurement.

3. What factors affect the charge contained in gas?

The charge contained in gas can be affected by various factors such as the gas composition, temperature, and pressure. For example, increasing the pressure of a gas can lead to a higher charge contained within it.

4. Can the charge contained in gas be manipulated?

Yes, the charge contained in gas can be manipulated using various techniques such as ionization or adding external electric fields. This can change the overall charge of the gas or individual gas molecules.

5. How does the charge contained in gas affect its behavior?

The charge contained in gas plays a crucial role in the behavior of the gas. It can affect its conductivity, reactivity, and other properties. For example, highly charged gases may exhibit stronger interactions with other molecules or particles.