1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge density - exact answer?

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1
    Question: The electric field on the surface of an irregularly shaped conductor varies from 56.0 kN/c to 28.0kN/c. calculate the local surface charge density at the point on the surface where the radius of curvature of the surface is (a) greatest and (b) smallest.

I am stuck as far as how to get an exact number. The only thing I concluded was that at the largest radius of curvature, charge density is smallest, and I called this lamda. Because electric field ranges to double the smallest value, I concluded at the smallest radius of curvature the charge density is 2 lamda. Is this totally incorrect?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2006 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The charge density is proportional to 1/(radius of curvature at that particular point).

4. Sep 10, 2006 #3
    I understand that, but I'm just given the information above, which is simply an electric field, so I couldn't find the exact charge density any more than what I have above, could I?

5. Sep 10, 2006 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok correct my mistake I totally read that wrong. The equation relating the potential and the electric field just outside the surface is:

[tex] v=aE=\frac{a\sigma}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

where a is the radius of curvature at a particular point and sigma is the charge density.

6. Sep 10, 2006 #5
    thanks man, I was overlooking that for some reason, appreciate it.

7. Sep 10, 2006 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

sorry about the original post just didn't have my head screwed on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?