Charge density - exact answer?

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of local surface charge density on an irregularly shaped conductor based on the given information of the electric field. It was concluded that the charge density is proportional to 1/(radius of curvature at that particular point). However, one person initially misunderstood the equation but was corrected by another person.
benndamann33
Question: The electric field on the surface of an irregularly shaped conductor varies from 56.0 kN/c to 28.0kN/c. calculate the local surface charge density at the point on the surface where the radius of curvature of the surface is (a) greatest and (b) smallest.

I am stuck as far as how to get an exact number. The only thing I concluded was that at the largest radius of curvature, charge density is smallest, and I called this lamda. Because electric field ranges to double the smallest value, I concluded at the smallest radius of curvature the charge density is 2 lamda. Is this totally incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
The charge density is proportional to 1/(radius of curvature at that particular point).

I understand that, but I'm just given the information above, which is simply an electric field, so I couldn't find the exact charge density any more than what I have above, could I?

Ok correct my mistake I totally read that wrong. The equation relating the potential and the electric field just outside the surface is:

[tex] v=aE=\frac{a\sigma}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

where a is the radius of curvature at a particular point and sigma is the charge density.

thanks man, I was overlooking that for some reason, appreciate it.

sorry about the original post just didn't have my head screwed on.

1. What is charge density?

Charge density refers to the amount of electric charge per unit volume in an object or material. It is commonly denoted by the symbol ρ and is measured in coulombs per cubic meter (C/m3).

2. How is charge density calculated?

Charge density can be calculated by dividing the total electric charge by the volume of the object or material. It can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the electric potential with respect to distance.

3. What is the difference between linear and volume charge density?

Linear charge density, also known as linear charge density, refers to the amount of charge per unit length along a line. On the other hand, volume charge density refers to the amount of charge per unit volume within a three-dimensional object.

4. What factors affect charge density?

The two main factors that affect charge density are the amount of charge and the volume of the object or material. Other factors that can influence charge density include the type of material, the presence of external electric fields, and the distance between charges.

5. Why is charge density important in physics?

Charge density plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their effects on objects. It is also essential in calculating the electric potential and electric field strength, which are fundamental concepts in electromagnetism. Additionally, charge density is used in various applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and in the study of materials with unique electrical properties.