Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge Density

1. Dec 23, 2006 #1
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a table that listed the maximum charge density different materials can accomidate...

Thanks in advanced,
    - WiredGuy
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. I'm not aware of such a table, but that isn't to say it doesn't exist.

2. If there was such a thing as a tabulation of maximum charge density, I'd imagine it was geometry dependent (not just a material property).

3. For a given object, I'd think you could estimate the maximum charge density from the work function of the material and the capacitance of the object. Or is there something else limiting the charge?
  4. Dec 24, 2006 #3
    Thank you for your response, it gave me a good direction to head in. It didn't quite click that the thing I was looking for was a tabulation of the work function of a variety of materials.

BTW, the factor limiting the charge was the geometry. That is given a constant shape, where the material within it can be varied, how much charge can be stored?

I was basically trying to get a grasp of the magnitude of electrostatic energy.

Thanks for the response.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?