What is the Solution to Part B of the Charge Distribution Integral Homework?

In summary: He's saying use: log(ab)-log(ac) = log(a)+log(b)-log(a)-log(c)ok so I now have##log \Lambda + log (2+ \frac{r^2}{2\Lambda^2}) - log \Lambda - log(\frac{r^2}{2\Lambda^2})##so the \lambda term cancels, as you can see obviously by considering the log as a single expression initially, but I am stil far from the answer- of the wrong order in... x
binbagsss

Homework Statement

part b of below
[/B]
em qft approx.png

Homework Equations

##(1+x)^{1/2}=1+\frac{1}{2}x-\frac{x^{2}}{8}+...##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##\int\limits^{\Lambda}_{-\Lambda} \frac{dy}{\sqrt{r^2+y^2}}=log(\lambda+\sqrt{\lambda^2+r^2}) - log(-\lambda+\sqrt{\lambda^2+r^2}) ##
##= log(\lambda(1+\sqrt{1+\frac{r^2}{\lambda^2}}))-log(\lambda(-1+\sqrt{1+\frac{r^2}{\lambda^2}}) )##
## \approx log(\lambda(1+1+\frac{r^2}{2\lambda^2}-\frac{r^4}{8\lambda^4}) )- log(\lambda(\frac{r^2}{2\lambda^2}-\frac{r^4}{8\lambda^4}))##

which is off track... thanks

Attachments

• em qft approx.png
    em qft approx.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 789
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: ##\log(x) + \log(y) = \log(xy)##

Orodruin said:
huh? i used that already. oh my expansion need to use a taylor to get the right order
Orodruin said:

ok ,
so do i need to consider the bit I am applying the logarithm to, expand this out and then apply the logarithm.
i.e. so i need to consider ##\frac{\Lambda(1+\Lambda(1+\frac{r^2}{\Lambda^2})}{\Lambda(-1+\Lambda(1+\frac{r^2}{\Lambda^2})}=(1+\Lambda(1+\frac{r^2}{\Lambda^2})(-1+\Lambda(1+\frac{r^2}{\Lambda^2}))^{-1}##, and get this to first order in ## x##but now do I expand out the square roots first in both terms, using ## (1+x^2)^{1/2} \approx 1 + x^2/2 +... ## and then use ##(1+x)^{-1} \approx... ## or do I do it the other way around?
how do I know which is correct?

binbagsss said:
huh? i used that already
Not shown in the OP, so how can I know if you used it or not?

I suggest that you use it in the other direction. Expanding the square roots is fine.

Orodruin said:
Not shown in the OP, so how can I know if you used it or not?

I suggest that you use it in the other direction. Expanding the square roots is fine.

apologies yes you did- how do you know however, that you are doing something wrong if you use the way I intially tried? since it's an identity I don't understand why you would have to select and how the other could be wrong? thanks

I don't understand, what do you think is wrong?

Orodruin said:
I don't understand, what do you think is wrong?

you said hint
as in me trying to use ##log(x)+log(y) ## and expand the expressions ##x## and ##y## is not correct but rather I need to consider expanding ##x/y## , how can that be when it is just an identity?
was this not the idea behind your post 2

I did not say it was not correct. I said there is an easy way to do it and a hard way to do it. The easy way to do it is to expand everything on the form log(xy) to log(x)+log(y).

I would suggest that before using the expansion you should use the log identity mentioned by Orodruin. This will cancel the first ##\lambda## terms, although I would find it more straight foreword to use the quotient rule to do this. Once you have everything as a single fraction, expand the numerator and simplify the first term. What does that give you?

NFuller said:
I would suggest that before using the expansion you should use the log identity mentioned by Orodruin. This will cancel the first ##\lambda## terms, although I would find it more straight foreword to use the quotient rule to do this. Once you have everything as a single fraction, expand the numerator and simplify the first term. What does that give you?
Again, as stated in #8, this is the long way around. I strongly advise against going to a single log expression.

Orodruin said:
Again, as stated in #8, this is the long way around. I strongly advise against going to a single log expression.

wait I'm confused again, i did the start the expansion with two log terms not a single one?

binbagsss said:
wait I'm confused again, i did the start the expansion with two log terms not a single one?
Yes, and going to a single one is going to make it more complicated. The more straightforward way to do it is to further expand the logs that you have.

Orodruin said:
Yes, and going to a single one is going to make it more complicated. The more straightforward way to do it is to further expand the logs that you have.

is your post 2/4 not telling me to do the opposite of what I started?

So you want me to include higher order terms to what I did in my OP:

## \approx log(\lambda(1+1+\frac{r^2}{2\lambda^2}-\frac{r^4}{8\lambda^4}) )- log(\lambda(\frac{r^2}{2\lambda^2}-\frac{r^4}{8\lambda^4}))##?

No, I want you to expand those logs.

Orodruin said:
oh right, using (1+x) \approx ...

but the final expression has log? this would get rid of them?

He's saying use: log(ab)-log(ac) = log(a)+log(b)-log(a)-log(c)

Likes binbagsss
Orodruin said:

vela said:

ok so I now have
##log \Lambda + log (2+ \frac{r^2}{2\Lambda^2}) - log \Lambda - log(\frac{r^2}{2\Lambda^2})##
so the \lambda term cancels, as you can see obviously by considering the log as a single expression initially, but I am stil far from the answer- of the wrong order in ##x=\frac{r}{\Lambda}##

vela said:
Not only that. There are also the manipulations that will leave only logs on the sought form, logs on the form log(1+x) that can be series expanded, and constant logs.

binbagsss said:
ok so I now have
##log \Lambda + log (2+ \frac{r^2}{2\Lambda^2}) - log \Lambda - log(\frac{r^2}{2\Lambda^2})##
so the \lambda term cancels, as you can see obviously by considering the log as a single expression initially, but I am stil far from the answer- of the wrong order in ##x=\frac{r}{\Lambda}##
Use log(xy) = log(x)+log(y) more times!

Orodruin said:
Use log(xy) = log(x)+log(y) more times!

hmmm something like ## log (\frac{r}{\sqrt{2}\Lambda}(\frac{2\sqrt{2}r}{\Lambda}+\frac{r}{\sqrt{2}\Lambda}))-log(\frac{r}{\sqrt{2}\Lambda}\frac{r}{\sqrt{2}\Lambda})##

##log(\frac{r}{\sqrt{2}\Lambda})+log(\frac{2\sqrt{2}r}{\Lambda}+\frac{r}{\sqrt{2}\Lambda}) -log(\frac{r}{\sqrt{2}\Lambda})-log(\frac{r}{\sqrt{2}\Lambda})
= log(\frac{2\sqrt{2}r}{\Lambda}+\frac{r}{\sqrt{2}\Lambda})-log(\frac{r}{\sqrt{2}\Lambda})## ?

what should I have done here instead?

No, you are just overcomplicating things now. Just keep expanding from what you had.

Forgive me for being off-topic, but is it not easier to just use trigonometric substitution: ##y=r⋅tan(\theta)## and prove that the integral diverges on the interval ##(-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})##?

The OP is working on part (b).

Orodruin said:
No, you are just overcomplicating things now. Just keep expanding from what you had.
there's nothing to talk to unless you factorise something?

And you already had perfectly fine factors. There was no need to overcomplicate it. Why you would start introducing factors of ##\sqrt 2## I really cannot understand. Just use the rule and in the logs where you have two terms factor out the leading one (as it is, not with any weird factors of ##\sqrt 2## - how else are you going to get a factor 1+x?).

Orodruin said:
And you already had perfectly fine factors. There was no need to overcomplicate it. Why you would start introducing factors of ##\sqrt 2## I really cannot understand. Just use the rule and in the logs where you have two terms factor out the leading one (as it is, not with any weird factors of ##\sqrt 2## - how else are you going to get a factor 1+x?).
ok
, but why would you want to seek the form log (1+x) when we don't want to expand things since we want log (x) ... or that's ok for the O(x^2) terms I guesss, where we have ##x = \frac{r}{\lambda}##?

So how about:## log 2 + log (1+x^2) - log ( \frac{x^2}{2}) = 2 log 2 + log(1+x') - log(x') ##

but I'm still stuck with ## log(x') ## , where ## x'=\frac{r^2}{\lambda^2}##, the log 2 is a constant as required, the ##log(1+x')##, once expanded, will take the form of constant terms plus ##O(\frac{r^2}{\lambda^2}) ##so that's fine, its just the log(x') term..?

binbagsss said:
but I'm still stuck with ## log(x') ## , where ## x'=\frac{r^2}{\lambda^2}##
Again, use ##\log(ab) = \log(a) + \log(b)##.

Likes binbagsss

1. What is a charge distribution integral?

A charge distribution integral is a mathematical expression used to calculate the total electric charge in a given region of space. It takes into account the charge density (the amount of charge per unit volume) and the volume of the region to determine the total charge present.

2. How is a charge distribution integral calculated?

To calculate a charge distribution integral, you first need to determine the charge density at each point in the region. Then, you integrate the charge density over the entire volume of the region. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as triple integration or Green's theorem.

3. What is the purpose of a charge distribution integral?

The purpose of a charge distribution integral is to quantify the total charge present in a given region of space. This is useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as electrostatics, electromagnetism, and circuit analysis, as it allows for the accurate prediction of electric fields and currents.

4. How does a charge distribution integral relate to electric fields?

The charge distribution integral is directly related to electric fields through Gauss's law. This law states that the electric flux (the amount of electric field passing through a surface) is equal to the total charge enclosed by the surface. Therefore, by calculating the charge distribution integral, we can determine the electric field at any point in the region of interest.

5. Are there any limitations to using a charge distribution integral?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a charge distribution integral. It assumes that the charge density is continuous and does not take into account the effects of discrete charges. Additionally, it is only applicable to static electric fields and cannot be used for time-varying or dynamic situations.