Does a Wire in an AC Circuit Have a Surface Charge Distribution?

In summary, the wire in a circuit has a surface charge distribution, which determines how it responds to sudden disconnection.
themagiciant95
I have a simple AC circuit. For example a battery with a capacitor.
In the steady-state the capacitor has the same V of the battery.
The wire that connect the two components is a very small cylindrical conductor, so it should have a surface charge distribution. It's that correct ? If no, why ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am quite sure that there will be a surface charge distribution generating an electric field in the appropriate direction.

Honestly, I think you can easily simplify the problem by just understanding that this circular conductor is basically a really thick piece of wire. The properties should be similar to a normal wire, just that it is now so thick that it takes the shape of a cylinder.

Hope that helped.

Likes themagiciant95
themagiciant95 said:
it should have a surface charge distribution. It's that correct ?
Yes it is correct

Likes themagiciant95
themagiciant95 said:
The wire that connect the two components is a very small cylindrical conductor, so it should have a surface charge distribution.

I hate to disagree with @Dale because he is so much smarter than I am, but in this case I do disagree.

We are assuming ideal components with zero leakage current.

Consider suddenly disconnecting that wire segment from the battery and the capacitor. Only one of the following can be true.
  1. The wire is left with a net charge.
  2. Following disconnection, there are brief internal currents in the wire as the charge distribution rearranges itself.
  3. No change, no net charge, no currents in the wire.
I believe that #3 is the correct one.

Remember we speak of the wire, not the plates of the capacitor. Capacitor plates do have net charge and surface distributions.

The OP's question could have left the capacitor out. If we take a length of wire and connect it to one terminal of a battery, is there anything that happens with net charge or charge distribution in the wire? With ideal components, I say no because changes in charge distribution require currents. With non-ideal components, the wire can have parasitic capacitance to ground and thus need current flow to change its voltage with respect to ground.

If you want to consider the portion of the wire closest to the capacitor, then actual sizes, orientation and lengths become important and you must solve the problem using Maxwell's Equations. But the OP posed the question without reference to size, & length.

1. What is charge distribution on a wire?

Charge distribution on a wire refers to the way that electric charges are present or distributed along the length of a wire. It is a measure of how the charges are spread out and can affect the electrical properties of the wire.

2. How is charge distributed on a wire?

Charge distribution on a wire is determined by the arrangement of the charges within the wire. If the wire is made of a conductive material, the charges will be evenly distributed along its surface. If the wire is made of an insulating material, the charges may be concentrated at one end or along specific points on the wire.

3. What factors affect charge distribution on a wire?

The type of material the wire is made of, the amount of charge present, and the shape and size of the wire can all affect the charge distribution. For example, a thicker wire will have a larger surface area for charges to distribute on, while a longer wire may have a more spread out distribution of charges.

4. How does charge distribution on a wire impact its conductivity?

The charge distribution on a wire can impact its conductivity by affecting the movement of electrons within the wire. If the charges are evenly distributed, electrons can move more freely and the wire will have a higher conductivity. However, if the charges are concentrated in specific areas, it can impede the flow of electrons and decrease the conductivity of the wire.

5. Can charge distribution on a wire be changed?

Yes, charge distribution on a wire can be changed by altering the amount of charge present or by changing the properties of the wire, such as its material or shape. However, in a closed circuit, the total amount of charge remains constant, so any changes in charge distribution within the wire will affect the distribution elsewhere in the circuit as well.