1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge en energy on capacitor

1. May 28, 2009 #1
    I guess this is a simple question and I can't find clarification on it any where

If the total charge on each plate of a parallel plate capacitor is 1200 joules then is the total energy stored in that capacitor 2400 joules. Lol might seem dumb but I just want to make sure this was correct

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2009 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Re: Capcitor

Charge is measured in units of coulombs, not joules.

4. May 28, 2009 #3

k then does the charge on each plate = total charge

so 1200 on one plate 1200 on the other = 2400

5. May 28, 2009 #4

Capacitor charge Q is defined so that there is charge separation with +Q on the positive plate and also -Q on the negative plate, when we say that the capacitor voltage is V=Q/C and the energy stored is (1/2)CV^2.

(Note that a total for +Q and -Q would always be zero.)

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  6. May 28, 2009 #5

total energy stored in a capacitor is split between the 2 plates. So say the capacitor stores 2 joules of energy does each plate hold 1 joule of charge.

7. May 28, 2009 #6

Don't think of each plate holding half of the energy. Think of the energy being in the fact that +Q and -Q are attracted to each other but not allowed to move toward each other because of the insulation in the spacing.

8. May 28, 2009 #7

The question I have is a parallel plate capacitor holds a charge of 1200 joules on each plate. It has a potential difference of 110 volts applied to it what is the capacitance of the capacitor in farads

9. May 28, 2009 #8

What DaleSpam said above. If the question says "a charge of 1200 joules" the question is incorrectly worded. I would ask the writer of the question if they mean "a charge of 1200 coulombs." If they say yes, then Q is 1200 coulombs.

I have never heard anyone refer to energy per plate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook