What is the Charge Enclosed in a Sphere with Proportional Charge Density?

In summary: Gauss' Law states that the surface integral of the electric field is equal to the enclosed charge divided by ε0. If you want to find the electric field at distance r from the centre of the charged sphere of radius R, you calculate the surface integral of E for a sphere of radius r. If r>R it encloses the whole charge, and your formula is rigth. If r≤R the enclosed charge is the charge inside the sphere of radius r. In this case, E=kr^4/(4r^2 ε0)=kr^2(4 ε0).
warfreak131

Homework Statement

A solid insulating sphere of radius R is charged so that the charge density is proportional to the distance to the center, p(r)=kr, where k is a constant.

Find Q(r), the charge enclosed by a concentric spherical surface of radius r<= R. What is the total charge of the sphere?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that Q=[Int from 0 to r] kr dV, and in spherical coordinates for radius, dV = r^2 dr.

So I have Q=[int from 0 to r] kr^3 dr = k [int, 0, r] r^3 dr = kr^4 / 4

Physics news on Phys.org
warfreak131 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that Q=[Int from 0 to r] kr dV, and in spherical coordinates for radius, dV = r^2 dr.

So I have Q=[int from 0 to r] kr^3 dr = k [int, 0, r] r^3 dr = kr^4 / 4

The volume element is a shell of radius r and thickness dr, which volume is dV=4pi r2dr

ehild

ehild said:
The volume element is a shell of radius r and thickness dr, which volume is dV=4pi r2dr

ehild

then when do I use r^2 sin(theta) dr d(theta) d(phi)?

warfreak131 said:
then when do I use r^2 sin(theta) dr d(theta) d(phi)?

You are right now, the volume element is dV=r^2sin(theta)dr d(theta) d(phi) in spherical coordinates, but not r^2dr as you wrote in your first post. Integrate the charge density for the sphere of radius r.

ehild

So let's say a question gives you the charge density p=kr where k is a constant, and it wants you to find the electric field inside a solid sphere of radius R.

Id say that [int] E ds = q/e0

and i can pull out E, -> E [int] ds = q/e0

and using what you said, E [int] ds = [int] kr r^2sin(theta)dr d(theta) d(phi) / e0

I would be left with 4piR^2 E = (4piR^3)/3e0 -> E=R / 3e0 ?

warfreak131 said:
So let's say a question gives you the charge density p=kr where k is a constant, and it wants you to find the electric field inside a solid sphere of radius R.

Id say that [int] E ds = q/e0

and i can pull out E, -> E [int] ds = q/e0

and using what you said, E [int] ds = [int] kr r^2sin(theta)dr d(theta) d(phi) / e0

I would be left with 4piR^2 E = (4piR^3)/3e0 -> E=R / 3e0 ?

You have to integrate kr^3 with respect to r.

ehild

So would the total enclosed charge be [int 0,R] kr * 4pi r^2 dr = k pi R^4 ?

and then I would get (k pi R^4) / (4 pi R^2 e0) = E = kR/4e0

Last edited:
warfreak131 said:
So would the total enclosed charge be [int 0,R] kr * 4pi r^2 dr = k pi R^4 ?

Yes.

ehild

ehild said:
Yes.

ehild

So if i use [int] E ds = k pi R^4 / e0, would I get E = kR^4 / 4r^2 e0 ?

Last edited:
warfreak131 said:
So if i use [int] E ds = k pi R^4 / e0, would I get E = kR^4 / 4r^2 e0 ?

It depends what you mean on R and r and [int] E ds.

ehild

R is the radius of the sphere, r is your variable radius

it'd be the surface integral of E ds = k pi R^4 / e0

and the surface would be 4 pi r^2, divide on both sides leaves you with E = kR^4 / 4r^2 e0

Gauss' Law states that the surface integral of the electric field is equal to the enclosed charge divided by ε0. If you want to find the electric field at distance r from the centre of the charged sphere of radius R, you calculate the surface integral of E for a sphere of radius r. If r>R it encloses the whole charge, and your formula is rigth. If r≤R the enclosed charge is the charge inside the sphere of radius r. In this case, E=kr^4/(4r^2 ε0)=kr^2(4 ε0).

ehild

1. What is "charge enclosed in a sphere"?

"Charge enclosed in a sphere" refers to the total amount of electric charge contained within a spherical surface. This can be calculated by adding up the charges of all particles within the sphere or by using Gauss's law.

2. How is "charge enclosed in a sphere" calculated?

The charge enclosed in a sphere can be calculated by using the formula Q = ε0*Φ, where Q is the charge enclosed, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and Φ is the electric flux through the surface of the sphere.

3. What is the significance of "charge enclosed in a sphere"?

"Charge enclosed in a sphere" is significant because it allows us to understand the distribution of electric charge within a given region. It also helps us to calculate the electric field and potential at any point inside or outside of the sphere.

4. What happens to the "charge enclosed in a sphere" when the size of the sphere changes?

The charge enclosed in a sphere remains the same regardless of the size of the sphere. This is because the amount of charge enclosed is dependent on the distribution of the charge within the sphere, not the size of the sphere itself.

5. Can the "charge enclosed in a sphere" be negative?

Yes, the charge enclosed in a sphere can be negative. This would indicate that the net charge within the sphere is negative, meaning there are more negative charges present than positive charges. This is possible if the sphere contains an excess of electrons or an absence of protons.