1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge flow in a RC circuit

1. Jan 14, 2018 at 6:36 AM #1
    • Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests; Thread moved to Introductory Physics Homework from Advanced Physics Homework.
    I have a RC circuit which also includes a battery, the capacitor has some charge initially before we put all the components in the circuit. Now as I connect all of them then charge will start to flow, but wheather this charge will be the sum of initial charge on the capacitor and the new charge produced by the battery or it will be just the new charge produced by the battery?

According to me the charge flowing in the circuit should be the sum of the initial charge of the capacitor and the charge produced by the battery.
    Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2018 at 7:23 AM #2

scottdave

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Look at how much charge (and polarity) will be on the capacitor after a long time. How does this compare with the charge and polarity before they're connected?

4. Jan 14, 2018 at 7:27 AM #3
    I connected the positive side of capacitor to the positive terminal of the battery.

5. Jan 14, 2018 at 7:32 AM #4

scottdave

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

So can you calculate how much charge will be on the cap after a long time (if the cap was initially "empty")?

This ending number will be the same for a cap with some initial charge. But the amount supplied by the battery will be different.

6. Jan 14, 2018 at 7:34 AM #5

scottdave

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Do you know how much initial charge is on the capacitor?

7. Jan 14, 2018 at 7:38 AM #6
    I know the initial charge on the capacitor.

8. Jan 14, 2018 at 7:44 AM #7

scottdave

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Maybe think of it as adding money to your bank account. If you started with $10 and end with $50, how much money was added?

9. Jan 14, 2018 at 7:47 AM #8
    $40 is added. But i want to know how much amount of charge will flow in the circuit as i have described in the problem?

10. Jan 14, 2018 at 7:50 AM #9

scottdave

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Do you have details of the setup that you can share, along with what you have worked out so far?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted