1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge in the battery after charging for a certain time

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An ideal 9V battery is connected to a resistive divider consisting of a 330 Ohm and a 600Ohm resistor. A 1.5V rechargeable battery in series with a 1.5k Ohm resistor is connected in parallel with the 330 Ohm resistor. The battery has a capacity of 1200mAh and is half charged. How much charge does it hold after 10 hours?

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

V=R*i

battery charging time = capacity of the battery / charging current power output of the charger:
    hr = mAh / mA

AAA – AA – C – D sizes rechargeable batteries:
    hours ( charging time ) equals to 12 x Ahr OR 12/100 x mAh ( 12/100 x mAh = hrs )

Power = V*i

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to find the current going to the 1.5k Ohm dc source. I first combined the R1 and Ri2(internal) as parallel.

1/Req = 1/330 + 1/1500
    Req= 270.5

Then I combined R1 to Req since they are in series:

270.5 + 600 = 870.5 Ohm

The the total Req is 870.5 Ohm

Then I tried to find the current passing through the total Req:

V=Ri
    i=9V/870.5
    i=0.01033

Then I will use the equation:
    battery charging time = capacity of the battery / charging current power output of the charger:
    = 1200mAH/0.01033
    = 116166 .. wow

At this point I am totally confused. Since this is such a large number, I feel like I am doing it wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted