Charge in the electrons and protons

In summary, the experiment proved that electrons are negative and protons are positive. There is other evidence that proves this, such as the fact that the mass of the electron is very small compared to that of the proton.
benzun_1999
dear reader,
the electrons are negative and protons are positive was proved by jj thompson. he proved it using the discharge tube. the cathode rays which started from the cathode(-) to the anode(+) was said to be negative because of its attraction to the anode. is there any other experiment or theory that proves that electrons are negative and protons are positive?:smile:. i am only in 9th std, so please don't be angry with me for this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by benzun_1999
dear reader,
the electrons are negative and protons are positive was proved by jj thompson. he proved it using the discharge tube. the cathode rays which started from the cathode(-) to the anode(+) was said to be negative because of its attraction to the anode. is there any other experiment or theory that proves that electrons are negative and protons are positive?:smile:. i am only in 9th std, so please don't be angry with me for this question.

If someone is angry because you ask a question in order to learn try to think of it as his/her problem not yours.:smile:

I will split your question into 2 parts.

1) You are correct that the experiment proves that electrons and protons have opposite charge. This is a fundamental fact and there should be more than one way to prove it. I'll defer to others with more time or knowledge.

In another experiment, it was proven that the mass of the electron is very small compared to that of the proton (about 1/1875 the mass of a proton).

2) What we call the charge of the electron (negative) and the charge of the proton (positive) is arbitrary and I believe due to Ben Franklin's choice. They could have been called left and right charges or up and down, really any pair of words with opposite meaning. His choice stuck.

thanks

thanks mmwave. i fell that electrons can also be positive provided that the protons are positive. i get it clear now , they are just opposite charges.
:smile:

1. What is the difference between electrons and protons?

Electrons and protons are subatomic particles that make up the atoms of all elements. They have opposite charges, with electrons having a negative charge and protons having a positive charge. Electrons are much smaller and lighter than protons, and they orbit around the nucleus of an atom, while protons are found within the nucleus.

2. What is the charge of an electron and a proton?

The charge of an electron is -1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs, while the charge of a proton is +1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs. This means that the magnitude of their charges are equal, but with opposite signs.

3. How do electrons and protons interact?

Electrons and protons attract each other due to their opposite charges. This attraction is what keeps electrons orbiting around the nucleus of an atom. However, if there are more electrons than protons, the overall charge of the object will be negative, and if there are more protons than electrons, the overall charge will be positive.

4. Can electrons and protons be separated from each other?

Yes, electrons and protons can be separated from each other through various processes such as friction, chemical reactions, and electric fields. However, they are always found together in atoms and cannot exist independently in nature.

5. How does the charge of electrons and protons affect the behavior of matter?

The charge of electrons and protons is responsible for the interactions between atoms, which ultimately determines the behavior of matter. The attraction and repulsion between charged particles lead to the formation of chemical bonds, the flow of electricity, and the overall structure and properties of different materials.