Charge induced on plastic by metal

In summary, charge can be induced on a plastic-made object if a charged metal is placed near it, similar to the way it is induced in water. However, the body molecular size may affect this characteristic. Sharing of charge between two conductors placed on an insulator is not considered as a current since there is no complete circuit present. However, there may be a small current flowing into and out of the body if a charged object is touched while standing on an insulator, but it will not persist unless the charge on the object is varying. If a conducting wire carrying household current is touched while standing on an insulator, there may be a small current flowing through the body, but it will not be felt unless there is another path for
primarygun
1.Will a charge be induced on a plastic-made object if a charged metal is put near it?
2.Is the sharing of charge between two conductor(placed on a insulator) is considered as a current?

I think charge can be induced similar to the way in which charged is induced in water. But, I am not sure whether their body molecular size affect this characteristic.
For the second one, I am not sure as it seems to me that no complete circuit is present.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, because the electrons are bounded to the atoms in an insulator. You can polarize the material somewhat by placing it in an electric field. The nuclei are shifted slightly along the field lines and the electrons in the opposite direction, and this adds to the field. But the electrons don't move any significant distance as they would in a conductor.

I'm not sure what you mean for the second part. Is charge flowing from one conductor to the other? If so, that's a current.

StatusX said:
I'm not sure what you mean for the second part. Is charge flowing from one conductor to the other? If so, that's a current.
sorry for this.
If I stand on a insulator, and I touch a charged object, is it considered as a current?

primarygun said:
sorry for this.
If I stand on a insulator, and I touch a charged object, is it considered as a current?

Anytime charges move from one place to another it is considered a current. Some currents do not last very long. If you stand on the insulator and touch a charged object there will be some current that flows into your body until you become sufficiently charged to no longer attract the charges in the object. This could happen very quickly, and it could happen with a spark that jumps between you and the charged object. The current will not persist if you are standing on the insulator unless the charge on the object is varying.

If you stand on an insulator and touch a conducting wire carrying household current at 115 volts ac, there will be a small current flowing into and out of your body. As long as you do not touch anything that provides another path out of your body for that charge, you probably will not even feel it. However, if there is a path through you to another object that can carry current easily, you will feel a shock as the current flows through you.

1. What is charge induction?

Charge induction is the process in which an electrically charged object, such as a metal, induces a charge on another object without physical contact through the presence of an electric field.

2. How does charge induction occur on plastic by metal?

Charge induction on plastic by metal occurs when a charged metal object is brought near a neutral or oppositely charged plastic object. The electric field of the metal causes the charges within the plastic to redistribute, resulting in a net charge on the plastic.

3. Why does charge induction occur on plastic by metal?

Charge induction occurs on plastic by metal due to the electrostatic forces between the charged metal object and the charges within the plastic. These forces cause the charges to redistribute and create a net charge on the plastic.

4. Can charge induction on plastic by metal be reversed?

Yes, charge induction on plastic by metal can be reversed by removing the charged metal object or grounding the plastic object. This allows the charges within the plastic to redistribute back to their original state, resulting in a neutral object.

5. What are some practical applications of charge induction on plastic by metal?

Charge induction on plastic by metal has several practical applications, such as in electrostatic spraying, where charged metal plates are used to induce a charge on liquid droplets, allowing them to be attracted to a grounded object. It is also used in electrostatic precipitators to remove particulates from industrial exhaust gases.