Charge inside a metallic sphere

In summary, the charge distribution inside a metallic spherical shell is dense near the charge but uniform outside. The inner boundary must satisfy equipotentialness for the innermost boundary. The surface charge must concentrate more heavily on the inner surface to cancel the field of a test charge located near it. This behavior is not from the charges on the inner surface, but from those on the outer surface. The surface of a conductor is at equipotential with the rest of the conductor, and this is a standard problem in advanced E&M. The solution can be obtained using multipole expansions or images.
heman
Suppose we have charge inside a metallic spherical shell ,not in the middle,but near the boundary of the surface.The charge distribution near the charge will be dense but outside it will be uniform.
All this is clear to me that outside the metallic sphere will be equipotential,but what about the internal boundary??
Doesn't it have to satisfy the equipotentialness for the innermost boundary.??

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the "test charge" is located very near a certain area of the inner surface. Then the field produced by the test charge is stronger on that area of the conductor then it is on an area that is farther away from the test charge. Hence, the surface charge must concentrate more heavily on that part of the inner surface if it wants to cancel the field of the test charge. That's why the charges don't spread uniformly on the surface as soon as there is no symetry in the cavity and test charge(s).

In my opinion, the strange behavior is not from the charges on the inner surface, but from those on the outer surface. Anyway, it is not a trivial subject. Refer to Griffith's Electrodynamics 3rd edition pp.99 Exemple 2.6 and pp.118 for the complete explanation.

As for your actual question, Yes, that is the point of the non-uniform distribution. Here's a proof that the surface of a conductor is at equipotential with the rest of the conductor. Simple: chose your reference point in the calculation of the potential to be inside the conductor, and chose the path of integration to be inside the conductor as well. The only place where the field is non-zero is at the surface of the conductor itself, so your integral becomes

[tex]V(\vec{r}) = -\int_{\vec{\mathcal{O}}}^{\vec{r}}\vec{E}\cdot\ d\vec{r} = \lim_{max{||\vec{\Delta r}_i||}\rightarrow 0} \sum_{i=1}^n \vec{E}(\vec{r_i})\cdot \vec{\Delta r}_i = 0+0+...+\vec{E}(\vec{r_n})\cdot \vec{0} = 0+0+...+0=0[/tex]

Hence the potential at the surface is 0, like at every point inside the conductor.

Thanks Quasar
It's clear to me.

This is a standard problem in advanced E&M. If you work with multipole expansions, the solution for the potential will emerge nicely in each of the three regions. As is also discussed in numerous texts, the problem can be solved wih images, but, unfortunately an infinite number is required.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

1. What is the charge distribution inside a metallic sphere?

The charge distribution inside a metallic sphere is uniformly distributed. This means that the amount of charge is the same at all points inside the sphere.

2. How does the charge inside a metallic sphere affect the electric field inside?

The charge inside a metallic sphere creates an electric field that is zero at all points inside the sphere. This is because the charges inside the sphere repel each other and spread out evenly, cancelling out the electric field.

3. Can the charge inside a metallic sphere move?

No, the charge inside a metallic sphere is fixed and cannot move. This is because the charges are held in place by the strong forces of attraction between them and the metal ions in the sphere.

4. Does the size of the metallic sphere affect the amount of charge inside?

No, the size of the metallic sphere does not affect the amount of charge inside. The charge is determined by the material and its properties, not the size of the sphere.

5. How does the charge inside a metallic sphere affect the potential inside?

The presence of charge inside a metallic sphere does not affect the potential inside. The potential inside a metallic sphere is constant and equal to the potential at the surface of the sphere, regardless of the amount of charge inside.