Is Charge Conserved in Proton-Helium Collision Reactions?

• Thread starter ismaili
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the minimum lab kinetic energy needed to produce an anti-proton in a collision between a proton and a Helium nucleus is 2mc^2, where m is the mass of one of the particles. Both charge and baryon number must be conserved in this reaction.
ismaili

Homework Statement

The problem is:
A proton collides with a Helium nucleus. What is the minimum lab kinetic energy needed to produce an anti-proton?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose that helium nucleus is at rest in the lab frame.
I'm wondering about the final particles of this reaction.
Originally, I guess the result is a proton, an anti-proton and the helium nucleus, but in this way, the charge is not conserved. So I guess the final particles are two protons , an anti-proton and helium nucleus, but my friend told me that the standard answer in the text is that the final state is with one proton, one anti-proton and one helium nucleus.
So, the charge can be not conserved in a reaction?
(This means that the interaction is not electromagnetic?)

Thanks for all ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Charge is certainly conserved and your friend is wrong. Your guess is correct. Notice you also need to conserve baryon number. Producing a proton, anti-proton pair is really your only choice.

Yeah, the energy for particle-antiparticle production is always [tex]2mc^2[/tex], where m is the mass of one of the particles.

1. What is charge non-conservation?

Charge non-conservation is a principle in physics that states that the total electric charge in a closed system can change over time. This means that the amount of positive and negative charges may not remain constant and can vary throughout a system's evolution.

2. How does charge non-conservation occur?

Charge non-conservation can occur due to several physical processes, such as the creation or annihilation of particles, the transfer of charge between different systems, or the change of charge states of particles within a system.

3. Is charge non-conservation violation of conservation laws?

No, charge non-conservation is not a violation of conservation laws. It is a natural consequence of the laws of quantum mechanics, which allow for the creation and annihilation of particles and the transfer of charge between different systems.

4. What evidence supports charge non-conservation?

Experimental evidence for charge non-conservation comes from studies of particle physics and nuclear reactions. These experiments have shown that the total charge in a system can change over time, supporting the principle of charge non-conservation.

5. How does charge non-conservation affect our understanding of the universe?

Charge non-conservation is a fundamental aspect of our understanding of the universe and plays a crucial role in various physical phenomena, such as particle interactions, nuclear reactions, and the behavior of matter at the quantum level. It also has implications for the evolution of the universe and the search for a unified theory of physics.