1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge non-conservation

1. Jul 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is:
    A proton collides with a Helium nucleus. What is the minimum lab kinetic energy needed to produce an anti-proton?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I suppose that helium nucleus is at rest in the lab frame.
    I'm wondering about the final particles of this reaction.
    Originally, I guess the result is a proton, an anti-proton and the helium nucleus, but in this way, the charge is not conserved. So I guess the final particles are two protons , an anti-proton and helium nucleus, but my friend told me that the standard answer in the text is that the final state is with one proton, one anti-proton and one helium nucleus.
    So, the charge can be not conserved in a reaction?
    (This means that the interaction is not electromagnetic?)

Thanks for all ideas.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Charge is certainly conserved and your friend is wrong. Your guess is correct. Notice you also need to conserve baryon number. Producing a proton, anti-proton pair is really your only choice.
  4. Jul 23, 2008 #3
    Yeah, the energy for particle-antiparticle production is always [tex]2mc^2[/tex], where m is the mass of one of the particles.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?