Calculating Charge and Volume Density for Non-uniform Ball

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spherically-symmetrically distributed charge within a ball of radius a. The electric field within the ball is constant, and the task is to calculate the total charge and volume charge density at any distance r<a from the center. Using Gauss' Law in integral form, the total charge is found to be Ea multiplied by the surface area of the sphere and epsilon nought. However, using the differential form of Gauss' Law results in a zero volume charge density, which does not make sense. The conversation suggests using a formula for the divergence of a vector field in spherical coordinates to solve this problem.
zoso335

Homework Statement

"Charge is distributed spherically-symmetrically but nonuniformly within a ball of radius a. There is no charge outside the ball and no sheet-charge on its surface. The (radial) electric field is uniform within the ball, having the constant value Ea.
a.) Calculate the total charge.
b.) Calculate the volume charge density at any distance r<a from the center.
c.) Check that your answers to part a and part b agree.

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law. Differential form of Gauss' Law.

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a posed no problem to me, you just use Gauss' law in integral form over the sphere of radius a. This results in Q equating to Ea times the surface area of the sphere times epsilon nought.
Part b on the other hand is where I have a problem. If I use the differential form of Gauss' Law, [tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\bullet[/tex] E = [tex]\rho[/tex] / [tex]\epsilon[/tex]0 then taking the gradient of a constant electric field would result in zero, and thus the volume charge density would be zero, but that physically does not make sense, so that is where I'm lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field is only constant in magnitude, it's not constant in direction. The divergence isn't zero. I'd suggest you stick with the integral form and figure out how Q(r) varies with r.

That's interesting though because my professor sent out and email giving hints, and for the volume charge density he suggested using Gauss' Law in differential form. So...there must be something I'm not doing right with that.

1. What is the charge of a non-uniform ball?

The charge of a non-uniform ball refers to the distribution of electric charge on the surface of the ball. It can vary depending on the material and shape of the ball, and is typically measured in coulombs.

2. How is the charge of a non-uniform ball determined?

The charge of a non-uniform ball can be determined by using Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface. This can be calculated by integrating over the surface of the ball.

3. Can a non-uniform ball have a uniform charge?

Yes, it is possible for a non-uniform ball to have a uniform charge. This can occur if the distribution of charge on the surface is symmetrical, such as in a spherical or cylindrical shape.

4. What factors can affect the charge of a non-uniform ball?

The charge of a non-uniform ball can be affected by the material, shape, and size of the ball. Additionally, the presence of other charged objects nearby can also influence the charge distribution on the ball.

5. Why is the charge of a non-uniform ball important?

The charge of a non-uniform ball plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electric fields and the interaction between charged objects. It is also important in applications such as electrostatics and electromagnetism.