Charge of Radon Nucleus: 86 Protons -1.6x10^-19 C

In summary, The total charge of the radon nucleus is 86 protons times -1.6x10^-19 C, which is the charge on an electron. However, be careful of the signs (+ and -) when calculating the charge.
poteat86
Hi, this problem is killing me.

What is the total charge of the radon nucleus? (The neutral radon atom has 86 electrons.)

The units is in Coulombs so I figured since they were asking for the charge of just the nucleus then it would be 86 protons times -1.6x10^-19 C. But that didn't work, I've tried every answer I can think of but it isn't working. (its like an online homework thing...i have only a few tries left and i need this answer to continue the rest) Please please help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
oh my god, sorry i didn't see that sticky about hw. I'll post somewhere else...sorry!

-1.6x10^-19 C is the charge on an electron.

A proton is positively charged, and if there are 86 of them, then 86 * the charge of one proton is correct.

Be careful of + and -.

1. How is the charge of a radon nucleus determined?

The charge of a radon nucleus is determined by the number of protons it contains. In this case, the radon nucleus has 86 protons, each with a charge of +1.6x10^-19 C. Therefore, the total charge of the radon nucleus is 86 times the charge of a single proton.

2. Is the charge of a radon nucleus positive or negative?

The charge of a radon nucleus is positive, since it contains 86 positively charged protons and no negatively charged particles.

3. How does the charge of a radon nucleus affect its stability?

The charge of a radon nucleus does not directly affect its stability. However, the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus can impact its stability. In general, nuclei with a higher ratio of neutrons to protons tend to be more stable.

4. How does the charge of a radon nucleus compare to other elements?

The charge of a radon nucleus (86) is relatively high, as radon is a heavy element. However, there are other elements with higher charges, such as uranium, which has 92 protons in its nucleus.

5. Can the charge of a radon nucleus change?

The charge of a radon nucleus can change through processes such as radioactive decay, where it can lose or gain protons. However, the number of protons in a nucleus is a defining characteristic of an element, so any changes in charge would result in a different element.