Does the Charge on NOS Affect the Charge on Fe?

• Thread starter mooncrater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the given reaction involves the conversion of Na2S and Na2[Fe(CN)5(NO)] to Na4[Fe(CN)5(NOS)]. The net charge on Fe changes from +2 to +3, and the charge on NOS is -1, resulting in a net charge of -4 for the product compound. The octahedral geometry and oxidation states of Fe and S play a role in this reaction.
mooncrater

Homework Statement

There is a reaction given in my textbook which says:
##Na_2S+Na_2 [Fe(CN)_5 (NO)]## ## \longrightarrow## ## Na_4 [Fe (CN)_5 (NOS)]##
I know initially Fe is in +2 state.
But does it become +3 charged after the reaction? What is the charge on NOS? Is it ##NOS^{-1}## or ##NOS^{-2}##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know... charge on ##Fe## depends upon the charge on ##NOS##... which I don't know.
Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how much I can help without getting castigated by admin, but I will risk it... The [Fe(CN)5(NO)] = -2 net charge and [Fe(CN)5(NOS)] = -4 net charge. Both are octahedral coordination structures with Fe+4 + 2e- => Fe+2 as the reduction and sulfur in Na2S is -2 charge being oxidized to So in the -NOS structure. Both -NO and -NOS have the same oxidation states = -1. Look up octahedral geometry, place CN (= -1 charge) on all points in the plane and one above the plane. The -NO and - NOS are each below the plane. With all the points -1 = -6 and Fe+4 in the reactant side = net -2 for the reactant anion. Draw the same structure with all points -CN and one -NOS => -6 again on the product side, but Fe in the product structure is +2. Then [(-6) + (+2)] = -4 for the product anion structure. Hope I don't get fussed at. Good luck.

Likes mooncrater
Thanks for your reply. I had some doubts:
##Fe## has two stable states... ##Fe^{+2}## and ##Fe^{+3}##. From where ##Fe^{+4}## came? Originally the compound has ##Fe^{+2}##.

mooncrater said:
Thanks for your reply. I had some doubts:
##Fe## has two stable states... ##Fe^{+2}## and ##Fe^{+3}##. From where ##Fe^{+4}## came? Originally the compound has ##Fe^{+2}##.
+2 and +3 oxidation states for iron are the most common, but actually, iron can have eight (8) oxidation states depending on the compound and structure it is associated with... Here's a link that may help on this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron ... Scroll down to 'Atomic Properties', there will be a list of the possible oxidation states for iron.

Did you look up the octahedral geometry for coordination compounds? Follow my suggestion about placing the substrates as suggested, then check the net charges.

Likes mooncrater
Here's Iron in an Octahedral Geometry for FeCl3-. The [Fe(CN)5(NO)]2- and [Fe(CN)5(NOS)]4- follow the same configurations.
upload_2015-5-13_0-52-16.png

Last edited:
Likes mooncrater
mooncrater said:

Homework Statement

There is a reaction given in my textbook which says:
##Na_2S+Na_2 [Fe(CN)_5 (NO)]## ## \longrightarrow## ## Na_4 [Fe (CN)_5 (NOS)]##
I know initially Fe is in +2 state.
But does it become +3 charged after the reaction? What is the charge on NOS? Is it ##NOS^{-1}## or ##NOS^{-2}##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know... charge on ##Fe## depends upon the charge on ##NOS##... which I don't know.
Any help appreciated.
Hey guy, how you doing on the problem? Just checking if all is OK. Hope I've helped. jp

1. What is NOS and Fe in relation to charge?

NOS stands for nitrous oxide, a chemical compound commonly used in car engines to increase power. Fe refers to iron, a chemical element with multiple oxidation states.

2. How does the charge on NOS affect the charge on Fe?

The charge on NOS does not directly affect the charge on Fe. However, when NOS is introduced to an engine, it can cause a chemical reaction that can increase the temperature and pressure in the engine, potentially leading to increased oxidation of Fe and formation of iron oxide (rust).

3. Can the charge on NOS affect the charge on Fe in a different way?

Yes, in some cases, NOS can also act as a reducing agent, which can counteract the oxidation of Fe and prevent rust formation. However, this depends on the specific conditions and concentrations of NOS and Fe.

4. Is there a specific ratio of NOS to Fe that affects their charges?

There is no specific ratio of NOS to Fe that directly affects their charges. The charges of these substances are determined by their chemical properties and the conditions in which they are present.

5. Are there any other factors that can influence the charge on NOS and Fe?

Yes, there are many other factors that can influence the charges on NOS and Fe, such as temperature, pressure, presence of other chemicals, and the type of reaction taking place. It is important to consider all of these factors when studying the effects of NOS on Fe.